Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Tahoe 5.7 heater hose connector leaking

Search this Thread

Old June 20th, 2015, 12:46 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Tahoe 5.7 heater hose connector leaking

I just discovered a very small leak @ the heater hose connector @ the r/front of the intake manifold, not bad enough to empty the overflow tank but enough that I want to fix it. I went by local NAPA store today and got two items, one clip if that procedure works, and a 1/2 " pipe thread fitting with the ring attached also. The man @ the store told me the original lower connection base was made from some tupe of soft metal and usually would twist off very easy, thus the reason for the second piece, the 1/2 " fitting would have to be replaced if that happens. Not very expensive @ all. I would just like someones input who has done this procedure if possible. Chime in guy's and give me your experience in this matter. Thank's,
David g.
Old June 20th, 2015, 7:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you try to remove the fitting, it will break 99% of the time. To remove the threaded part that remains in the manifold use a hack saw blade. Just saw across the threads in two places, then use a pick to get the two parts of the broken fitting out. Cut carefully, you don't want to go deeper than thread depth. The sealant you use will seal where you cut through the threads in the manifold. Not a tough job at all.
Old June 20th, 2015, 10:25 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC10
If you try to remove the fitting, it will break 99% of the time. To remove the threaded part that remains in the manifold use a hack saw blade. Just saw across the threads in two places, then use a pick to get the two parts of the broken fitting out. Cut carefully, you don't want to go deeper than thread depth. The sealant you use will seal where you cut through the threads in the manifold. Not a tough job at all.
Thank's Rich, that's pretty much what I've been told. Appreciate the reply.
David g.