Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Tahoe - faded headlights = idea

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2007, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Tahoe - faded headlights = idea

I recently bought a Pewter 99 Tahoe 2 door LT, 4wd, loaded with 100k. The headlights are all faded out like most HOES areand I've already tried buffing the outside of the lamps to get them clearer, but no luck. A whole headlight assembly with clear corners and bumper lenses is about $120 off eBay, but I think it looks too ricey and cheap so I would like to stick with the stock look. I think I'm going to pull the headlights out and clean them from the bulb housing holes or possibly take them apart entirely [&:]

My bro has a 99 honda prelude and his headlights had faded just like mine so he found a do it yourself forum on dissasembling a headlight housing. You take the headlights off the vehicle and you have to heat them to get the sealant hot enough topull the lense and the housingapart. We actually put his in the oven (at the lowest setting ona cookie sheet with a rag under it) for about 3-5 minutes until the housing was hot enough to pry apart. It worked fine and he just repated the process to seal the lights back together. He cleaned the lenses from the outside and inside so now he has crystal clear headlights with no fading orno money spent. This didnt take him long to do and if I could do this to my Tahoe without spending money on a new set of el' cheapo lamps from eBay, i would be happy.

Do you guys think this would work?

Thanks.
Old March 9th, 2007, 3:26 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 1999 Tahoe - faded headlights = idea

If the hazing is on the inside it's worth a try. Experiment with one - worst case if you wreck it, as you noted there are several replacement sources available. You might also research this site for restoration supplies. In the past I got solvents/abrasives from them to refinish plastic tail lenses.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/
Old March 9th, 2007, 5:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1999 Tahoe - faded headlights = idea

Thanks for the link konamrz.

bhwakeboarder - I know there are several brands of lense cleaners that should work if the fading is on the outside. I would try one of them first before taking your headlight apart.