Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Tahoe and Premium Gas

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2017, 6:44 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Tahoe and Premium Gas

After Hurricane Irma breezed through our small town, the gas prices sky-rocketed. The gas station near me had signs all over that said they only had premium gas @ $3.49 per gal. I was running on fumes and needed to get my husband to work 20 minutes away. I was not going to make it to the next gas station on fumes so I bought the gas. 2 days later, my 1999 Tahoe started jerking, like it was out of gas and about to cut off. Then it started making a pinging noise. Whenever I stopped, it took forever for the truck to take off like I know it should. I just barely made it home. I haven't driven the truck since. Was it the premium gas or does that sound like a different problem?
Old September 19th, 2017, 6:49 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Sounds like crappy gas
Old September 19th, 2017, 8:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

ditto. Its not that its premium, premium will not cause the truck to detonate....you got bad fuel

Last edited by tech2; September 19th, 2017 at 8:29 PM.
Old September 19th, 2017, 9:38 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Since they were all out of the other grades of gas, I suspect that their premium tank was probably close to empty and they were picking up a lot of crap in the bottom of the tank. You'll probably have to replace the fuel filter to clear up the problem. If the filter is in the tank, you might try running a couple of bottles of Techron fuel injector cleaner through it to perhaps clean the system up.
Old September 21st, 2017, 5:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Since they were all out of the other grades of gas, I suspect that their premium tank was probably close to empty and they were picking up a lot of crap in the bottom of the tank. You'll probably have to replace the fuel filter to clear up the problem. If the filter is in the tank, you might try running a couple of bottles of Techron fuel injector cleaner through it to perhaps clean the system up.
From what I see in the news- It's likely that the stations tank had been recently filled. Particulate floating around in there may have clogged your filter. Good news is that through 2003 the 'burbs had an inline filter that's cheap and easy to change.

I'd start there. Maybe take a class at YouTube University right quick before hand.