Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 - 2005 Front End Rattle

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2007, 1:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 - 2005 Front End Rattle

Hi,

Is anyone else having this issu? I have an '05 Tahoe. I hear a low sounding front end rattle/squeak that is heard when going on any uneven roads or bumps. I've looked at all the TSB for the Tahoes/Suburban/Yukon and I found the following TSB:

Suspension - Rattles/Squeaks From Front of Vehicle
Bulletin No.: 03-03-08-002B Date: November 30, 2005 TECHNICAL Subject:
Rattle/Squeak from Front of Vehicle (Replace Lower Portion of Upper Insulator Assembly) Models:
2002-2005 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2005 Cadillac Escalade ESV
2000-2005 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2005 Chevrolet Avalanche
2000-2005 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
Supercede: This bulletin is being revised to update the correction and parts information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 03-03-08-002A (Section 03 - Suspension). Condition Some customers may comment on a rattle or squeak type noise coming from the front of the vehicle. Cause The front shock absorber plastic pilot ring may be wearing out, causing the shock to misalign in the insulator. Correction DO NOT replace the shock. Replace the lower portion, P/N 15834275 , of the upper insulator assembly using the procedure listed below. This new insulator has a taller plastic pilot ring that is attached to the metal sleeve to aid in the proper alignment of the insulators. 1. Remove the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual. 2. Remove the lower portion of the upper insulator from the shock and discard. 3. Install the new lower portion of the upper insulator to the shock. Important: Be sure to center the shock in the frame bracket and tighten the upper mounting nut when the vehicle is on the ground. 4. Install the front shock absorber. Refer to the Shock Absorber Replacement procedure in the Front Suspension sub-section of the Service Manual.

I've taken my truck to the dealer at least 4 times for this issue and everytime they were not able to replicate the issue.

Thanks,

Old April 19th, 2007, 5:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 2000 - 2005 Front End Rattle

Do you have any squeaks when you open/close your doors? On bumpy roads, dry door hinges can make a rattle that sounds like it is coming from the front wheel well or front end area. A little WD-40 on the hinges will stop it.
Old April 19th, 2007, 11:48 PM
CF Beginner

I did have that problem before with the doors and I used PB Blaster, it took care of the squeak, this issue is more of a rattle that is heard when going over any uneven surface, it's definately coming from the front end (left front end to be exact. Thank you for the quick response.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:16 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The door hinges will sound exactly like a rattle coming from the left front of the vehicle. Iwould have bet alarge rock was stuck inside my frame. Hitthe door hinges again with the lubeand see if makes a difference.
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:47 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion, I will hit the hinge again to see if that helps. If that doesn't resolve it, I will schedule my truck for service to have them look at it.

Thank again,

Old July 4th, 2007, 4:21 AM
CF Junior Member

The front end on my GMC had previously same... I have replaced the GMC shock absorber and struts with no help. When going over bumps there were still a very loud rattling noise. But when I brought to my mechanic he suggested to have a close inspection of the sway bar links and bushings. he told me that these components can be a bit of a problem to diagnose, yet can create a very pronounced rattle that you would believe to be coming from the struts. When checking these components the vehicle should be setting on the floor or on a drive-on lift. Jacking the front-end allows the suspension to drop, changes position and applies a load on the components. This often causes the worn or loose parts to be masked and difficult to diagnose. When checking the suspension components such as sway bar bushings and links it is best to check them in their normal operating position. On a side note, a rattle is more common to the sway bar links, while the sway bar bushings have a tendency to cause a thump... To make the story I just replaced the sway bar links and made test drive and the noise was gone.. Hope this helps.. Good luck!!!
Old September 30th, 2008, 10:10 PM
CF Beginner

Clunking sound and it is your steering rod at the base of the fire wall. this is a problem all of these yukons and tahoe. It cost $250 to replace it. There should have been a recall on this as nearly all of them make this sound...

T
Old October 1st, 2008, 7:35 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Just had the intermediate shaft replaced on wife's 04 and it was free. Service said it was a known problem and instead of doing the grease pack, they now replace with a new design. So if it's your intermediate shaft, then they should fix it.
Old September 3rd, 2018, 5:57 AM
CF Beginner

Default Problem solved.....

I was working on my ball joint and control arm this weekend and I finally figured out where the rattling was coming from. A while ago when I had some brake work and control arm replacement done, I had to remove the metal bracket that holds the brake cable in place. Problem was the screws broke off so.i just let it rest on top of the wheel hub. So as I started to drive I kept noticing the rattling noise and could not think as to where it was coming from. Took it to the dealer and they couldnt find out. So I went for years with it like that. The other day I worked on my drivers side and the same thing happened. The screw broke off and I just left the metal plate on top of the wheel hub. Sense it was not in the way of causing problems. As I started to drive after the repairs, I heard it from both sides then. And then it hit me, it was the metal brackets bouncing off the wheel hub. So every bump or or riding on rough roads, it would sound like my truck is sending more code signals. So I took the tires off and bottled down the plate and drove around....NO MORE RATTLING.... so if you are experiencing this issue. Check the plate that bolts onto the top part of the wheel hub. Of it's broken then thats your issue.
Old August 6th, 2020, 8:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Darrell Chandler
I was working on my ball joint and control arm this weekend and I finally figured out where the rattling was coming from. A while ago when I had some brake work and control arm replacement done, I had to remove the metal bracket that holds the brake cable in place. Problem was the screws broke off so.i just let it rest on top of the wheel hub. So as I started to drive I kept noticing the rattling noise and could not think as to where it was coming from. Took it to the dealer and they couldnt find out. So I went for years with it like that. The other day I worked on my drivers side and the same thing happened. The screw broke off and I just left the metal plate on top of the wheel hub. Sense it was not in the way of causing problems. As I started to drive after the repairs, I heard it from both sides then. And then it hit me, it was the metal brackets bouncing off the wheel hub. So every bump or or riding on rough roads, it would sound like my truck is sending more code signals. So I took the tires off and bottled down the plate and drove around....NO MORE RATTLING.... so if you are experiencing this issue. Check the plate that bolts onto the top part of the wheel hub. Of it's broken then thats your issue.

i just wanted to give a shout out to this answer, I have searched and looked for the last year for the cause of my “rattle”. I’ve changed parts, researched, tried to replicate, everything I can think of with no success. I read this response tonight, and sure enough I had, step by step done the same thing, changed a wheel bearing, broke the same bolt and all. Turns out my rattle was the bracket from the brake hose rattling against the hub as well. If it hadn’t been for this website and Darrell’s post, I would’ve been stressing for a long time from now over my “rattle”

huge shoutout to this forum!!

Jon Preston
2005 GMC Sierra 4x4