Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Suburban 2500 tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2011, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Suburban 2500 tranny woes

Hi everyone,

Here goes...

I recently bought a 00 suburban 2500 with full records and 204K miles. I bought it because the truck was super clean and was a one owner. It has tons of records (lube, maint.) The owner was very forthcoming on any issues, for example It is leaking a bit of oil (not much) from the rear main seal, and the driver side exhaust manifold has some broken bolts and thus a leak. My mech. will do both the seal and the manifold for $700.

The problem I'm having is that on longer hills, the tranny is acting a bit odd. I believe I have the Heavy duty trans on this 2500. with the temp gauge. Well I was driving up a hill and the tranny temp ALWAYS stays at 150 degrees or at 1/4th on the gauge. Well I noticed it went up to probably 175degrees on the climb (engine temp is fine mind you, under half). on the down hill.. the tranny seemed to I dont know.. have extra compression because the truck was actually slowing down, when normally it would coast at the same speed or even pick up speed.

When I exited shortly I noticed a weird whine, and also the shift from 1st to 2nd was harsh, like not smooth at all. Once I let it cool for say 7 minutes.. the truck is fine again. I am really concerned that this could be a major trans problem. My mech said he would check it out, said perhaps the trans fluid being used is the wrong one, OR the trans filter was not done. Records say trans filter was done 2 years ago.

I'm planning on taking my beast from CA to PA once I sort out the main seal/manifold issue. So any help you experts could give me would be great.

Sorry for the LONG post.

thanks,

Al
Old September 30th, 2011, 2:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crickets ... ... ....
Old September 30th, 2011, 7:22 AM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum... at 200K it might just be time for the tranny to be serviced just a guess, is the fluid burnt or looking dirty....when they go they go run fine one day and the next its all she wrote....
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those temps are fine
when going downhill you are probably just feeling the engine braking some because the truck holds in gear. some cars will increase speed when you let off the gas going downhill like you say, but that isnt the case in most trucks especially HD ones. They expect most of the times you will have a load behind you and need extra engine braking. But you say it didnt do that before so maybe have your guy check the fluids and transmission filter.