Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 29th, 2015, 1:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

Tires and Rims

Search this Thread

Old September 29th, 2011, 7:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires and Rims

I bought my Tahoe and it already had 22" rims on them. I will soon be in need of tires. Right now I have 305/45/22 on there. I can get a deal on 285/45/22. My question is, will these thinner tires fit on the rims?

Name:  224444_2298498787367_1396069299_4606593_4593315_n.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  41.7 KB
Old September 29th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Yes but they will be ~0.79" narrower and ~0.70" smaller in diameter if my math is correct.
Old September 30th, 2011, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire/Rim Width Variations

Austin,
A succinct answer to your question is YES, they will fit !

But, I believe you're actually asking "how well" !

Let me just make a couple statements here, where you can determine that "how well" for yourself.

Tires function better, when the Rim WIDTH and the Tread WIDTH are the same. This provides the Sidewalls to run straight up and down, which is the best for them. That and proper inflation gives you the best control of your vehicle and even tread wear.

A NARROWER Rim, will cause the Beads to be brought closer together, and make it a bit "wobbly", like riding on Balloons. This usually causes Tread Wear in the center of the tread, and to rectify that, one must reduce the pressure in the tire, to get even tread wear. That reduces your control even further, and adds to the wishy-washy feel.

A WIDER Rim, will cause the beads to be set outside the direct alignment of the sidewalls, and will cause excessive tread-wear on the outer edges of the tread. This has a tendency of 'rolling" the sidewall over and may contact the road surface, causing a loss of traction. Increased tire pressures can equalize the tread wear, but make the tires ride very rough, and if the Rim width is excessive, you may not be able to compensate for it, with increased pressure. Even with increased inflation pressure, excessively wider rims, WILL cause a profound loss of traction.

Now, people do this ALL the time, and get varying performance, and frequently don't even know what's going on down there. So, what's a reasonable "variance", that can be dealt with, before you really get into major problems.

I'd say that the maximum the Rim can be WIDER than the Tread of the Tire, shouldn't be over .5".
Then, that the minimum width of the Rim, should not be NARROWER than 1.0" than the Tread of the Tire.
(better to err on getting a slightly wider tire)

One more item of caution...
It's an invitation for disaster, to run "Low Profile" Tires at reduced pressures ! There's not a whole lot of room, between the Road and the Rim, and when you reduce the pressure on them, it makes a Sidewall Fracture (crosscut) a LOT more likely to happen.
(ie: encountering Chug Holes or Curbs)

So, what you need to do is, measure the Tread Width, and the Rim Width, and see if they reasonably fall within these limits.

PS: nice looking ride by the way !

Last edited by SWHouston; September 30th, 2011 at 10:40 AM.