Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Suburban Security wont stop dinging

Search this Thread

Old November 9th, 2013, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Suburban Security wont stop dinging

I have a 2000 suburban 2500 and today my daughter called and said she could not start the suburban. When I got there, and put the key in the security light was flashing and dinging. When I finally got it started the dinging stopped. Drove it home and when I turned it off the Security Light kept flashing and the security bell was dinging really fast. Took the key out, locked the doors and it continued. Started the suburban and turned off again, the same thing is happening. Shut the doors, locked the doors, its still happening. Went out 10 min later still dinging. I am sure this is what killed the battery. Any ideas what is going on? Will a bad battery cause this? Need help quick!
Old November 9th, 2013, 7:30 PM
CF Junior Member

Ignition lock cylinder. Disconnect battery until you get this fixed. There is a contact bar on ignition lock cylinder that contacts housing. The ignition lock cylinder will have to be coded to your key code
Old November 9th, 2013, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Tech
Ignition lock cylinder. Disconnect battery until you get this fixed. There is a contact bar on ignition lock cylinder that contacts housing. The ignition lock cylinder will have to be coded to your key code
Is this something that I can do with the security reset that I read about, or do I have to take the suburban in to get it done?
Old November 10th, 2013, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't know what a security reset is to be honest. But, I'd definitely take it in.
Old November 12th, 2013, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

So I put a new battery in. The suburban started up, security light off all seems good. Shut it off, pull the key out and the security light flashes rapidly and the chime dings like crazy. It still wont stop! Shut the door and the security light goes off, but the chime still rings. I tried the passlock 3 reset, but when I turn the key to on, the only message in the message center is a battery image, no security light. So I don't think its the passlock system. Any ideas?
Old November 12th, 2013, 9:22 PM
CF Junior Member

The other part of this system is the ignition and key alarm switch assembly. It's a switch that connects to top of ignition lock cylinder housing. Have to pull apart to diagnose.