Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 K1500 Front Wheels Lock Up in 4WD Hi

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2012, 2:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 K1500 Front Wheels Lock Up in 4WD Hi

I have a 2001 K1500 that gets 4WD use very infrequently - like 2 - 3 times a winter. The vehicle has 180K miles on it. Tranny was replaced 6 months ago with a used unit that had 100K miles on it (lost 3rd gear) and have put about 6K miles on the new/used tranny and it seems AOK.

Decided I would try 4WD before the snow flew this year so this weekend I punched the button. Lights indicated engagement just fine. A sound like dragging brakes comes from the driver's side front wheel when in forward. It was pretty loud at first but after 100 yards or so it subdued to a low growl. When I turn the front wheels to either full left or full right, the driver's side wheel behaves like I have my foot on the brake. The wheel, when turned full to either side will skip on dry pavement (going about 2mph). When the steering is centered, all is free and fine except that low growl. I figured it might be the CV joints. Checked. Boots are intact and fine. I injected some grease with a needle just to be sure they were lubed. No difference. It's like I have the brakes on when I turn full left or full right. In 2WD everything is free and smooth.

I believe the front and rear diff fluid is original. xfer case and tranny got changed when the new/used tranny was put in.

Any ideas?
Old December 15th, 2012, 2:55 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Driving in 4wd on dry pavement, sounds like you don't have any issues. I've had my 2000 sub shift soleniod loud when I put it in 4wdh when it hasn't been in 4wd for a long time.
Old December 16th, 2012, 6:18 AM
CF Beginner

Default Something is definately wrong...

I understand what you're saying about the dry pavement... and the wheel skip itself wouldn't bother me that much. But what does is that the car literally needs to rev at 2K RPM in order to overcome the braking force when the front wheels are either full left or full right. It's like the front diff isn't working properly because both wheels are trying to turn at the same speed - which can't happen when they are turning.
Old December 16th, 2012, 1:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both Wheels in your front axle are locked together (when engaged) is NOT limited slip. That's how the rear axle works. You probably have a G80 back there.

YES, you have to really put the throttle to it to turn a corner on dry pavement or some firm surface where you are getting good traction.

That's just the way they set it up, and I'd use the "Auto 4wd" jut to have it available, and not be bothered with the drag, unless it was necessary for the 4wd to engage.

However, I'll add this...
Don't put the tranny in ANY of the 4wd functions UNLESS you really need it. Even the Auto will effect/reduce your gas mileage quite a bit.

Last edited by SWHouston; December 16th, 2012 at 1:53 PM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 5:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks SW!

What you described is exactly what I am observing. Just didn't seem right and thinking that the diff/fluid has 180k on it, I figured something must be wrong (my Jeep wrangler without locking front hubs for instance does not work that way). I learned something new!
Old December 17th, 2012, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Seems your wheels are ok. Just misunderstanding