Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban 2500 fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2018, 5:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban 2500 fuel pump question

Hello,
Can anyone tell me if a 2002 main fuel pump would fit in a 2001 Suburban 2500 in the main fuel tank (forward)?

I've got a long reason for asking, but in short --the 2001 fuel pump offerings all appear to have a plastic top with plastic 'quick disconnect' lines ---and the 2002 appear to have a metal top with metal quick disconnect fuel lines.

I appreciate the help,
Thanks!
Old June 27th, 2018, 2:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by g00se
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if a 2002 main fuel pump would fit in a 2001 Suburban 2500 in the main fuel tank (forward)?

I've got a long reason for asking, but in short --the 2001 fuel pump offerings all appear to have a plastic top with plastic 'quick disconnect' lines ---and the 2002 appear to have a metal top with metal quick disconnect fuel lines.

I appreciate the help,
Thanks!
I believe that it will work, but I wont guarantee that. You could always check the units out at an auto-parts store.
Old June 28th, 2018, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
I believe that it will work, but I wont guarantee that. You could always check the units out at an auto-parts store.
Thanks for reply; good suggestion, I was just hoping that maybe somebody has made this change already and would know because I'm not sure I could tell without a test fit. Based on looking so far, the fuel line connections, the electrical connector and they both use the same gasket and lock ring part number.

The only difference I can see (besides one being made of metal and the other having plastic fuel line connections) is that the 2002 version is 'offset' in that the lower half of the pump. So, in the tank it would be positioned differently as it appears to use only two spring shafts rotated 180 from the 2001 three spring shafts. I don't know why it is offset other than it may help in my tank (because the original pump rubbed the bottom inside of the tank) and the offset would put the lower pump body in a new position.

The reason I want metal fuel lines is because I changed the current pump about a year ago and found that the center plastic line had broken off (the line from the rear auxillary tank). I am glad this occurred in my driveway or else it could have been dumping gas out while out on the road (not good!).