Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 suburban ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:23 AM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2001 suburban ABS problem

My ABS braking has become an issue. It has been engaging in good weather on clear roads. The vehicle has 235K on it and some rust, and I'm leary of throwing too much cash into repairs. Any idea what it would cost to repair, or are there any DIY ideas?

Last edited by subfan597; March 23rd, 2015 at 11:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:34 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its likely wheel sensors. clean them first and set them.
Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:49 AM
CF Active Member

Front bearings (and sensors) were replaced in the last few years. That narrows it down to the rear end, which has only one sensor, I believe. Thanks for the info.
Old March 24th, 2015, 3:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've changed both sensors, to no avail. ABS comes on every time I stop on dry pavement. Next will be the hubs.
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:01 AM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by jolson
I've changed both sensors, to no avail. ABS comes on every time I stop on dry pavement. Next will be the hubs.
There is a sensor on each front wheel hub. A third sensor for the rear wheels is located on the extension housing on 2WD models, and on the transfer case on 4WD models. I have the 2WD, and with the sensor being only about $24 bucks, that's what I will be looking at next.

Last edited by subfan597; March 24th, 2015 at 10:02 AM. Reason: grammar
Old March 24th, 2015, 10:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by subfan597
There is a sensor on each front wheel hub. A third sensor for the rear wheels is located on the extension housing on 2WD models, and on the transfer case on 4WD models. I have the 2WD, and with the sensor being only about $24 bucks, that's what I will be looking at next.
Ah, that's good to know. Wasn't aware there was another sensor. Was going to look at the ground as well under the driver door. Thanks for mentioning the other sensor.
Old March 25th, 2015, 9:43 AM
CF Active Member

Default ABS problem

I had a problem with my ABS several years ago, but then my "Check engine" light came on; also, although I still had brakes, I simply had no functioning ABS system. I found a used ABS Control Unit (which is under the drivers side) and had it installed and the problem was solved. But now there is no light coming on, just an over-sensitive ABS system which engages on dry pavement as if I were on ice. So, everything seems to point to a sensor. BUT, the rear sensor also affects your speedometer AND transmission, of which neither of mine is acting up. The rear sensor is easy to remove, and I am going to try and just clean it and reinstall it first and try that. If no luck, I will just take the gamble for $26 and install the new one. If still no luck, I will be looking at the front ones again although they shouldn't be a problem; but, then again, after market stuff never seems to hold up like the original.

Last edited by subfan597; March 25th, 2015 at 9:48 AM. Reason: spelling
Old March 25th, 2015, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

I've had my ABS and Brake light come on a couple times when braking slow for long periods during a stop. But it always goes back off.
I need to do the test of the sensors I put in (raise vehicle and spin tire while testing the pins of the sensor) and also clean the ground for the ABS unit under the driver door. You may want to check yours. I've read in a couple different forums that the ground gets nasty (along with other wires) and results in an isuse. Also heard that tracing the wires from the sensors, up the shock/strut under the hood has found that some wires get corroded (small/thin wires) that can easily deteriorate. Then maybe take a look at that rear sensor. I never saw anything in the parts list when I found the other sensors for the front so didn't know there was another.
I have also watched the video on how to re-solder the connections in the ABS unit (which I'm confident I can do if need be) and think I just will leave the new hubs for the very last resort.
Old March 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
CF Active Member

Angry ABS problem

Replaced VSS for rear wheels, disconnected and reconnected neg. on battery. I thought I had the problem beat until I braked at a very slow speed and . The sensor works by a signal generated by the speed of a toothed gear in the trans; although it's better, it's still not 100%. Now I'm wondering if this cheap, Taiwan made aftermarket sensor is the problem. Considering going to Chevy and buying theirs; it's more expensive, but I'm tired of dealing with this inferior foreign garbage.
Old March 26th, 2015, 9:00 AM
CF Active Member

Default ABS problem

Originally Posted by Scotiapilot
its likely wheel sensors. clean them first and set them.
How do you "set" a sensor? Sensors are neither adjustable nor rebuildable according to my repair manual.

Quick Reply: 2001 suburban ABS problem