Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 suburban ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2015, 5:41 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jolson
I've had my ABS and Brake light come on a couple times when braking slow for long periods during a stop. But it always goes back off.
I need to do the test of the sensors I put in (raise vehicle and spin tire while testing the pins of the sensor) and also clean the ground for the ABS unit under the driver door. You may want to check yours. I've read in a couple different forums that the ground gets nasty (along with other wires) and results in an isuse. Also heard that tracing the wires from the sensors, up the shock/strut under the hood has found that some wires get corroded (small/thin wires) that can easily deteriorate. Then maybe take a look at that rear sensor. I never saw anything in the parts list when I found the other sensors for the front so didn't know there was another.
I have also watched the video on how to re-solder the connections in the ABS unit (which I'm confident I can do if need be) and think I just will leave the new hubs for the very last resort.
Cleaned both left and right front sensors; the right was the dirtiest. ABS is fine now. Also discovered that my caliper brackets were frozen and replaced them. Fourteen Chicago area winters will do that to em. Fifty bucks for everything and saved plenty on labor.
Old April 4th, 2015, 1:01 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by subfan597
How do you "set" a sensor? Sensors are neither adjustable nor rebuildable according to my repair manual.

I am not exactly familiar with the Subs sensors. On my other cars there is a specific distance the sensors is to the teeth.

I have found my sensors magnetized before and full of metal collected on the, etc.
Old April 4th, 2015, 7:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 508 Likes on 468 Posts

The gap is critical but there is no adjustment for these vehicles. rust will build up and push the sensor back. Since its a a/c pulse generator, the further away the pick up is from the reluctor; the weaker the signal gets. It will drop out at low speeds if to far back. Sometimes you can remove the sensor, clean the mounting surface and re-install it. Most of the time it is stuck so tight in the bore you cannot remove it without breaking it. When they are stuck like that...usually, that is the bad sensor.
Old April 9th, 2015, 5:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I finally broke down and brought it to my local trusted mechanic. He hooked it up and saw the left sensor had no signal (I had replaced that one first, about 9 months ago) and they removed it and cleaned the rust from the mounting surface and ABS is fine now. So while I was waiting and getting the right sensor in and replaced the left one lifted back out (or I didn't get it clean enough).
Old April 11th, 2015, 8:05 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jolson
I finally broke down and brought it to my local trusted mechanic. He hooked it up and saw the left sensor had no signal (I had replaced that one first, about 9 months ago) and they removed it and cleaned the rust from the mounting surface and ABS is fine now. So while I was waiting and getting the right sensor in and replaced the left one lifted back out (or I didn't get it clean enough).
Mine was the same situation. Because my bearings and sensor were replaced recently, I ruled them out. But where the left sensor was still clean, the right was filthy. I will know where to look first the next time.