Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 suburban strange screech at front of engine?

Search this Thread

Old August 4th, 2010, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 suburban strange screech at front of engine?

I am trying to figure out where to start in search of this strange screech that my 2001 suburban has from the front of the engine. Usually it will start to make the wierd noise (sounds like metal on metal) around 2000 rpms.... It does it while driving and also if I rev it up alittle in park. I know what a water pump usually sounds like and this is a different noise. It also does it with the ac on or off. It has the 5.3 gas engine. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
CF Active Member

Get someone to rev it up and down and place your finger on the back of your alternator. The center is posible. If you can feel the grinding there it is your rear bearing in the alternator going bad. Time for a new alternator.
Old August 4th, 2010, 10:42 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, I will check the alternator tomorrow when I get home from work.
Old August 5th, 2010, 1:26 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Also check the idler/tensioner for the serpentine belt.
Old August 5th, 2010, 9:28 PM
CF Beginner

I ended up pulling the drivebelt off and running it for a few seconds,,, still have the screech. Figured had to be the ac belt tensioner or ac compressor. Pulled the ac belt off,, no screech. Saw where the ac belt tensioner had one of it's stoppers broken off. The bearing did feel alittle loose also. I believe its going to be the ac belt tensioner. Will head to autozone tomorrow and get one. I will post after its on.

Thanks for help and suggestions
Old August 7th, 2010, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Put a new ac belt tensioner on,,, the old one was broken where one of the tabs had been knocked off. Still have the same noise,,,,must be ac compressor. Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get a new compressor kit at a reasonable price? Is remanufactured the way to go? or should I go oem?
Old August 7th, 2010, 10:57 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

before replacing take off the belt and spin the a/c pump to see how much it resists
Old August 7th, 2010, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

I did spin the ac pump yesterday,, it felt normal to me. I have spun other compressors in the past and this one felt like those. If it feels normal is it possible to just put up with the noise at around 2,000 rpm's,,,,, or will it just lock up all of a sudden?
Old August 7th, 2010, 8:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my ac belt tensioner with one from an auto parts store and it still made the sound. I could also move it with my hands so I got a GM one and I could not move it with my hands once installed I was good.

Kevin
Old August 7th, 2010, 9:46 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Probably depends on if it's the compressor that's making the noise. If it is, then it'll probably eventually lockup.

Quick Reply: 2001 suburban strange screech at front of engine?