Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe Fuel Delivery Peoblems???

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2009, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe Fuel Delivery Peoblems???

I have a 2001 Tahoe that just stop running on me the other day. I checked for fuel pressure at the schader valve on the fuel rail and it just seemed to dribble even while turning the key on. So I thought the fuel pump had gone. I tried to listen for the pump by removing the gas cap and opening the flap door, could not hear the pump come on. So I bought a new pump and installed it. The new pump assembly came with sending unit minus the float arm. I transferred the arm when I installed it. I put about 8-10 gallons of fuel and it started right up. The fuel gauge was not registering (Showing EMPTY)so I thought that maybe the arm was stuck, so I was driving to the gas station to fill up thinking it may release the arm. Before I made it to the gas station the engine shut down and would not start back up giving me the same syptoms as before I changed the pump. Towed it home and tested the pump again, relay clicks but could not hear or feel pump come on. Pulled tank and pump again. Tested resistance @ outside connector on new pump and sending unit. Sending unit/pump had OFL unless you held the wires on the bottom of the flange in a certain position. Pump resistance was @ 0.5 Ohms and the sending unit went from about 50 -250 Ohms depending on the position of the float. Since the new pump tested fine minus the loose connections, I decided to test the original pump. I came up with the same readings. The only thing that looked wrong with the original was the screen/filters were filthy. So I tried to transfer the new pump but could not remove the hose without damaging both of them. I put the new screen/filters on the old pump and tested resistance one more time to just to make sure everything was fine. Just to verify that the pump worked I plugged it in to the harness outside the tank and turned the key for half a second and the pump came on. Seeing that the screens/filters were filthy I went ahead and changed the actual fuel filter(which had been changed about 10K miles before). Installed the pump/tank and again started right up. Took it around the block and after it warmed up it felt sluggish. When you take off from a stand still and push on the pedal it acts like the engine is flooding so you have to feather the pedal to go anywhere. Under any load it will stall out unless you are very easy on the pedal. When I changed the fuel filter 10K ago I also flushed the injectors and cleaned out the throttle body. I think it maybe something electrical but am not sure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance
Old April 10th, 2009, 2:33 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum. How's your oil pressure when it shuts down?
Old April 10th, 2009, 4:40 PM
CF Beginner

Oil Pressure seemed normal up until the engine shut down then of course it would plumit.

I just got back from another test drive with it and at first it was hesitating just as bad. Then I got on an open road and opened it to about 90. That seems to have cleared it out and is alot better than before. There is a slight hesitation at take off or when your try to pass someone but no more stalling out under a load. Maybe the injectors were dirty or dripping. Not sure but the slight hesitation may just be my imagination as I do not drive it all the time. My wife does.

Could short in the fuel pump circuit be causing a differential in fuel pressure??

I am also getting pending DTC PO131 & PO151 which is low voltage for O2 sensors 1 Bank 1 & 2. CEL is not on yet but I do not know what it would take for these codes to become active.

Last edited by stinkymcgee; April 10th, 2009 at 4:44 PM.
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

The CEL came on and starting running rough again. DTC # PO0131 & PO0151 are now active and you have to feather the pedal to go anywhere.

Would codes indicate that I need to replace the O2 sensors in front of the Cat bank 1 & 2? Or can I just clean them?

I am kinda stumped on this and really need some help!!!
Old April 11th, 2009, 6:38 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
being 8 years old, if your going to pull the 02's might as well replace them.
If you disconnected the battery when you did the fuel pump keep in mind there is a learning period for the computer so it might drive a bit different until things are re-learned.
Old April 11th, 2009, 8:44 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Sounds like it's O2 replacement time.
Old April 12th, 2009, 4:59 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bad O2 sensors will not make it not run. More than likely the o2 sensors are seeing the problem. What is the code definition?
Old June 21st, 2011, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

2001 chevrolet tahoe fuel pressure. What is the operating pressure?
Old June 21st, 2011, 6:50 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

384-425 kPa (55-62 psi)
Old December 27th, 2011, 8:11 PM
CF Beginner

is it easier to clean the fuel injectors on a 2001 Chevy Tahoe or just replace them altogether? which is cheaper? How difficult is it? If someone can help I would really appreciate it. Cool website by the way. I got my tahoe 6 years ago and I love it. Super dependable!