Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 tahoe rear brake noise- HELP!

Search this Thread

Old September 4th, 2014, 10:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 tahoe rear brake noise- HELP!

I have an 01 tahoe and been having some issues with the rear brakes. I hope I’m not the only one that is having this issue so I canget some help. The brakes where replaced a few years ago before I bought and it and not many miles where put on but It did sit a lot. When you hit the brakes pedal, moving or at a stop, they make a loud binding sound. I put up on a jack and nothing is hanging up. I checked the pins and they are lubed up good. I almost thought it might be the piston in the caliper but my buddy who is chevy certified mechanic said no. He seems to think that it’s the pads. I just don’t see how the pads could make a sound like this. It’s not a sqeaky brake noise. Someone else told me maybe the hard ware should all be replaced. I just don’t wanna start buying parts and replacing if its not the issue. The brakes seem to be working fine and they have been like this for a while but I assume not good to leave like this besides a loud sound. Any input would be much appreciated!
Old September 4th, 2014, 4:03 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Its possible the pads are dragging on the caliper assembly.. do your rear calipers have the 2 small clips in place as the picture? If those clips are missing this could be the cause of the metal to metal sound you hear...
Your mechanic could be right also, pads can transfer sounds..there is a sound deadening spray that can be applied to the backs of the pads to dampen the sound
Attached Thumbnails 2001 tahoe rear brake noise- HELP!-2001-rear.jpg  
Old September 5th, 2014, 11:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes

yea clips are there, pads look like crap they look like kmart brand. May just change rotors and pads and clips