Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Tahoe 5.3l V8 25l/100km BAD ASS Gas Mileage

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2014, 12:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tahoe 5.3l V8 25l/100km BAD *** Gas Mileage

Hello.
Need som help. I have a Tahoe LTZ 2007 5.3l V8 Flexifuel.
I drive on both E85 and normal Petrol, and still very high fuel consumption.
When i bought the Hoe i was driving on 14-18l/100km CITY driving, fast speed, allot of time standing still.
I dont have any trouble codes or any other problem. Sometimes in the morning 5-10 Celsius degree outside, i get missfire from the engine, but not any trouble codes.

in 2012, with 147475km "milage" they changed the Valve Evap Emis Cnstr Con
and the Harness Evap Emis Cnstr Vent because the engine lamp was "on".

Now the Hoe has 205000km "milage". And my final Question is; How come it runs on average 25l/100km NOW, and 6 months ago it runs at average 14-18l/100km???

Any idea whats wrong?

im sorry for my bad english, im swedish

/Björn Johnsen
Östersund, Sweden

Last edited by bj.johnsen; September 3rd, 2014 at 4:16 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 1:00 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Use

E85 is the highest your vehicle was rated for (at least here in the US) (E85 means 85% ethanol)

E95 would be 95% ethanol?

Are you sure it can handle that?

the more real gas you use, like E15 or ideally no ethanol, the better fuel economy you will get...

I believe your country makes ethanol from switch grass, which is cool, but in the US we make it from corn, which has had a huge impact on food and fuel prices...

I am not personally a fan of ethanol, but if you have a E85 vehicle, you should be able to use it, at a cost in fuel economy.

in the USA, the 'lower' cost of E85 fuel doesn't make up for the loss in fuel economy... if you run the numbers, you lose buying E85 in not only fuel costs, but it's just not really a good fuel...
Old September 3rd, 2014, 4:13 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
E85 is the highest your vehicle was rated for (at least here in the US) (E85 means 85% ethanol)

E95 would be 95% ethanol?

Are you sure it can handle that?

the more real gas you use, like E15 or ideally no ethanol, the better fuel economy you will get...

I believe your country makes ethanol from switch grass, which is cool, but in the US we make it from corn, which has had a huge impact on food and fuel prices...

I am not personally a fan of ethanol, but if you have a E85 vehicle, you should be able to use it, at a cost in fuel economy.

in the USA, the 'lower' cost of E85 fuel doesn't make up for the loss in fuel economy... if you run the numbers, you lose buying E85 in not only fuel costs, but it's just not really a good fuel...

I wrote wrong, i mean that i drive on both E85 and normal Petrol. our E85 is in the summer E95, almost only Ethanol and no Petrol in it, its Ethanol and Ethylene.

So my fuel consumption has raised from average 14-18l/100km to average 25l/100km, and thats still the same driving in the city, night and day.
Dont you think that is TOOO MUCH?

Can the Fuel Injectors be that bad in 205000km so the average fuel consumption can be that bad?

PLEASE NEED ANSWER..

Last edited by bj.johnsen; September 3rd, 2014 at 4:17 PM.
Old September 3rd, 2014, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum ( Välkommen till forumet)
Has mileage just recently dropped or has it been progressive worse...
The more alcohol in the fuel the lower the fuel efficiency...
You could have gotten a bad tank of gas,so don't read too much into poor mpg with just one tank...
You might also be due for a tune up, poor performing spark plugs will also decrease fuel efficiency.
Also consider getting fuel from a different gas station for a sanity check...
Old September 4th, 2014, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Welcome to the forum ( Välkommen till forumet)
Has mileage just recently dropped or has it been progressive worse...
The more alcohol in the fuel the lower the fuel efficiency...
You could have gotten a bad tank of gas,so don't read too much into poor mpg with just one tank...
You might also be due for a tune up, poor performing spark plugs will also decrease fuel efficiency.
Also consider getting fuel from a different gas station for a sanity check...

Thanks for welcome me
The milage has dropped in the last 3-4 months, first it was 21-22l/100km, and now it is 25-26l/100km... and i drive allot, 4-5 tanks a month at least.
The spark plugs i changed for 3-40000km ago, AC Delco orginal.
So i dont think it could get that bad.

How often do you need to change the fuel injectors when you drive on Ethanol. I have been driving almost all the km on Ethanol.
I change oil every 10000km just because i can, work as a mechanic at volvo in sweden. But this american flexifuel is nothing compare to volvo/ford flexifuel so i dont have any excperience at all.

/Björn
Old September 4th, 2014, 3:41 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

What is in the gas tank now, gasoline or ethanol ?
Its possible if you filled up when the tank still had a fare amount of gas or alcohol in it, it confused the sensor and now it is trying to burn gas at the rate it would alcohol... Can you connect a scan tool and see what your alcohol reading is?
Old September 4th, 2014, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
What is in the gas tank now, gasoline or ethanol ?
Its possible if you filled up when the tank still had a fare amount of gas or alcohol in it, it confused the sensor and now it is trying to burn gas at the rate it would alcohol... Can you connect a scan tool and see what your alcohol reading is?
Its allways Ethanol, today i tried to fill it upp with 20l of gasoline just to be shore its not ONLY ethanol. I have a scan tool but i dont know if i can se the alcohol reading. Do you think i could se that in the "livedata" when the engine is on?

Tonight i checked the exhaust - Lambda 0.999 Co 0.05 co2 0.05 HC 39,
and thats amazing numbers. That means that its now rich on fuel.
But when im driving the fuel milage goes up to 70-90l/100km on the option when its allways changing.
When i bought the car 18 months ago it was NEVER going over 40-50l/100km and thats when i pressed the car, really driving mad. Now i just have to drive a little fast and its going up really high.. And its showing on the average milage wich is now 30l/100km.. it cant be that bad if its bad fuel, or low tirepressure. something is really not working good.

I did clean the air filter also, orginal bought 6 months ago. just a little dust in it. i checked water, oil. everything good. i drive on 3.6bar tyrepressure.

im going mad!!!!
Old September 5th, 2014, 8:15 AM
CF Addict

Default Fuel + SUV

Here, buy this instead...

Model X | Tesla Motors

I plan to
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:07 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
Here, buy this instead...

Model X | Tesla Motors

I plan to
Gee, that's productive. Never mind that he might own a Tahoe for cargo or towing. Unless I'm simply unaware that the Tesla X has 100+ cubic feet of cargo room or can tow a 5,000-lb trailer.

Björn, has the engine had proper maintenance? At that mileage, it should have new spark plugs and wires. Have they been replaced?

Last edited by intheburbs; September 5th, 2014 at 12:10 PM.
Old September 5th, 2014, 12:50 PM
CF Addict

Default towing

you may be, the rumor is it can tow

But no official figures yet...

I'm hoping for at least 5000 lbs, but I'd take even 3500lb.

I tow, that's why I own a Tahoe, but statistically speaking, I bet that's about 30% of the purchasers needs.

I'm looking for something to tow around 15-17k, but thinking I'll have to go diesel for that weight...

But that's also 4-6 years out...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biofuel_in_Sweden

I can't find the video, but is anyone else reminded of the Simpsons when Home has an alcohol fueled car?

he puts the nozzle in his mouth, then the car, then his mouth "one for me, one for you, one for me..."

lol

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; September 5th, 2014 at 1:01 PM.