Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Chevy Tahoe Dreaded Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2013, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Chevy Tahoe Dreaded Oil Leak

Hello everyone. I have a 2002 Tahoe 4x4 with 160k miles. I have been fighting an oil leak for about a year. Here is what I have done. I kept seeing oil on the Oil Filter seeping down from the oil cooler block off. I replaced the oil cooler block off gasket and it still leaked. I then used my iphone and recorded a video around the oil pan gasket since you cannot easily see above the oil cooler block off. I then discovered that the oil pan gasket was leaking right above the block off. I replaced it and the oil pan gasket is no longer leaking on the filter. I am now getting oil dripping from the inside starter bolt. I took off the peep hole shield from the transmission but I could not see oil on the fly wheel. Although I did not get a good light and shine up there well. From everything I have read I think my rear main seal or rear engine cover are leaking. I am losing about 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. I am not really seeing any oil on the driveway but the starter bolt are always wet. The best I can tell it is the rear main and not the intake since I cannot see anything dripping down the block. I am going to do a little more inspecting this weekend but I am losing a lot of oil and want to get this fixed. I drove from Atlanta to Orlando and back and lost a quart. Also on my way home from Orlando the low coolant light came on. I did add coolant last night and did not see any leaks. I did replace water pump around 100k. I did see a tsb about coolant leaking. Any help/comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have some time off near Christmas and want to have everything ready to fix during the break.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 9:06 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I suspect that you are burning oil because if you were losing a quart every thousand miles, the undercarriage would be wet also due to the blowback.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Burning Oil

Is there anything I can do or test to tell if I am burning that much oil. It does not smoke. I am going to check the under carriage tonight.
Old December 3rd, 2013, 4:42 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

A quart/1,000 won't smoke. Does it smoke on start up?
Old December 4th, 2013, 8:56 AM
CF Beginner

Default Startup

I am not sure at startup but I will check it out.
I looked it over lastnight and checked it out the best I could. I took of the plastic plate between the start and tranny as well as thepeep hole at the bottom and did not see oil anywhere on the flywheel. I am suspecting the rear engine cover. I am thinking of removing the starter so Ican get a better look this weekend and see it I can see anything. I also found a TSB 01-06-01-029B on the PCV valve andmine does have the old style because I replaced it last night with the same one. It did not look to oily but I am going to getthe new style and see what happens. I also checked the Fuel Pressure sensor andit looked clean as well. As far as thecoolant I could not see a drop anywhere. I also read a TSB about certain heads were cast wrong and caused it toburn coolant. I also thought aboutputting in some oil dye and see what happens. Any other suggestions? I do agree I am burning it because it is not wet enough underneath to be losing a quart.