Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old March 20th, 2011, 9:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Suburban Alarm System

1st off, this is my first post. I'm a chevy guy, but can't hate on anyone who loves cars- no matter what the make. This looks like a great forum and I look forward to many hours of reading and learning (and hopefully helping a little).

I just purchased a 2002 suburban with the passlock security system. When I got it, the battery in the remote was dead and so I replaced it and resynced the clicker. Ever since, when I open the door with the key, the alarm goes off until I put the key in and turn it to the on position. I haven't tested it with the unlock button on the remote, because the keypad is worn and doesn't work most of the time.

I want to replace the standard security system with something a little more elaborate. Something with a remote start, remote windows, knock sensors, temperature sensor, etc. I've installed these things before and never had a problem, but I've heard it's not so easy with the passlock system, and so I would like to disable it.

Will an inline resistor in the ignition do the trick, or will I need to get a bypass? Also, with the resistor or bypass installed, will the new alarm system work without any problems and will my door problem be resolved?

I know this may not be something for a novice, and I don't consider one by any means. I've blueprinted, built and rebuilt engines, replaced transmissions and fixed the wiring on one too many automobiles- so if this is possible, I'm confident I can do it.

Thanks in advance!
Old March 28th, 2011, 12:37 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, so I opened up the column and checked out the ignition wires. I tested the resistance on the yellow and orange/black wires and found it to be a little under 14K Ohms when in the run position. So I cut the yellow and orange/black wires and soldered in 3 resistors in series that came to about 13.7K Ohms. The truck starts fine and now I won't have to get a passlock bypass, which is great, but the alarm system still goes off all the time when I open the door.

So the factory alarm is activated when the doors are locked with the lock button. From what I've read, I need to send a signal to the light-green factory alarm disarm wire in the BCM when the doors are locked with the button (or the factory clicker).

Will sending this signal immediately with a relay work, or will the signal have to be sent a short time afterwards? If there has to be a delay, what could I use to send this delayed signal? Is there a better way to disable the factory alarm?

Last edited by fried_guy; March 28th, 2011 at 1:07 PM.
Old March 30th, 2011, 8:21 PM
CF Beginner

its pretty simple if you are going to add a viper alarm I would have bought the bypass 2 key reasons one now any one can steal your truck until you install the starter interupt on your alarm the other reason is you get the right bypass that is D2D it takes 4 wires and it bypasses the factory alarm for you