Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban, intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2012, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Suburban, intermittent starting

Hi.
I have an 02 Suburban, flex fuel, that started with the intermittent firing thing a couple weeks ago. I tried keeping the tank full, lifted the front at night to simulate an incline when it dropped below 1/2- that worked a few days until I was able to get a new fuel pump. I replace the fuel pump (module) and other than the gauge getting a little screwy at first, the truck started right up for about 4 days. The first time it failed after replacement, I toggled the ignition a couple times, heard the pump kick in and started the truck; same thing the next morning. No problems the next few days until yesterday. I couldn't get the thing going in the morning; but she fired in the afternoon.
When the truck is running, it runs great- no stalls, no issues at all. Starts and stops several times daily is normal and the truck never fails. I started checking things out, trying to pin point the problem. Fuses, relay, pressure- everything ok. As it stands, on the occasions when it won't start, there is no power to prime.
Any help/ insight would be great. It was doing the same thing before I replaced the module. I did that as a result of a mechanic's advice, as the problem wouldn't duplicate itself anywhere other than my driveway on random mornings- so "it's got to be the fuel pump." Now I'm thinking ignition; but would love a more qualified thought or two.
Thanks
Old January 24th, 2012, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What brand is the new pump?
Old January 25th, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

Airtex E3560M- made from solid gold apparently.
Only one parts house in this town. They had a Delco that was around $60 less; but would take longer to get in- those were my two options.
Same thing this morning by the way- nothing all day yesterday, bumped the key a couple times first thing this morning, cried out to heaven (no really, I did) and we were off.

[2:00pmcentral] Ok, dead again. This time, instead of the fuel gauge dropping and staying below "E" as it usually does when she doesn't fire, it went back up to normal levels. Something electrical- bad ground?
She's got 219K, new tranny went in 5500 miles ago, so I'm not ready to shoot her just yet...

Last edited by GeoMers; January 25th, 2012 at 2:18 PM. Reason: additional info.
Old January 25th, 2012, 9:37 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airtex pumps are junk. Almost have a 100% failure rate in the first year 50%in the first 2 months. Just based on the fuel gauge problem I would replace the pump again since that is part of pump module. Use only a AcDelco pump or Delphi.
Old January 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Post starting issues

I have the same problem in my 1999 Chevy sub 170k miles. It has happened at least once a month since summer 2011.

I agree that the issue happens only during cold starts and only when I have less than a half of a tank. As a band-aid fix, I fill a 2 gallon gas can from the station and that seems to keep the car alive until I fill it once again beyond 1/2 tank.

Sometimes (if I feel risky) the car starts with lower than a 1/2 tank of gas but the 1/2 tank marker seems to be the usual danger zone.

I've also had the fuel pump replaced about 5 years ago. My mechanic told me that the vehicle's fuel pressure was good and I should return when the problem occurs again.

My gas gauge also shakes (so I feel there is an additional unknown problem).

Let me know if you find a real remedy.

Cheers,
R
Old February 6th, 2012, 8:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default new pump, same problem

MDTAHOE: Took your advice, the AcDelco lasted a few days and left me stranded last night 30 miles from the house. About to head that way and see if by some miracle she'll start after sitting all night.
As it stands, the prime terminal doesn't really have anything to do with it as I originally thought. There is nothing coming from the ignition when you turn the key. Everything else with the starting system seems fine- just no power to the relay from the ignition on occasions like this- when it won't start. Spoke with a mechanic that had me check the wiring under the fuse block; possibly run a separate relay. Nothing's melted or anything like that. Any ideas?
Old February 1st, 2013, 6:10 AM
CF Beginner

Did you ever find a solution to the intermittent start problem?

My 1999 Suburban failed to start. Damp day. Turned over okay, but wouldn't fire. I could hear the fuel pump turn on. Went to troubleshoot it two days later and she fired right up. I could hear clicking that sounded like it was coming from my inside fuse box.

I'm curious as to whether you ever found the solution.

Thank you.
Old February 10th, 2013, 9:54 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry for the delay in responding- haven't been here in awhile.
I did get it resolved- I had to replace the fuse block. It's a dealer part, about $300; but it hasn't missed a lick yet since the new block went in.
Chevy said it was fairly common for those year models- money well spent in the long run. Just wish I hadn't wasted $$ on fuel pumps, I had a gut feeling it was an electrical problem from the start; but what can you do? Live and learn I guess.
Hope this helps.
Old February 11th, 2013, 3:29 AM
CF Beginner

Thank you for taking the time to respond. The info is very helpful. I suspect I have a similar problem. Changed a fuse the other day and it sparked going in. I don't think I've ever seen that in 45+ years of owning and working on my own cars. Thanks again.
Old May 4th, 2013, 4:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default Intermittent starting

I am having a similar problem with my 96 Diesel Suburban. My
vehicle tends to start when it's cold, but once I shut it down- maybe 50% of the time it starts back up. Usually have to wait. I've checked battery connections (there are two batteries), replaced starter, checked fuses.
Any thoughts? Thank you!

Quick Reply: 2002 Suburban, intermittent starting