Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban, intermittent starting

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2013, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suburban Intermittent Start

I've identified (but have not yet fixed) the intermittent starting problem I am having with my 1999 Suburban.

Apparently, my Suburban does not like rain or condensation. Water is getting to the distributor and it won't start when wet.

I pulled the distributor cap and PO had mangled the threads in the cap and used a screw (instead of a bolt) to hold down the cap, which made the distributor cap wobble just a bit. Tested theory by splashing some water on the distributor cap while running and she shut right down. Examination of the coil wire showed burnt wires which also may have contributed to the no start problem.

So far I've temporarily secured the distibutor cap and replaced the coil wire and haven't had a no start problem since. I still have to replace all the plug wires and figure out a permanent solution for the distributor cap. Maybe drill a hole on both sides for a through bolt?

Also, I've heard (but not verified anywhere) that cold starts that won't restart after running may be due to a faulty crankshaft position sensor. When it heats it expands and doesn't get a proper signal but when it cools down, functions properly allowing a good restart. Just a thought.