Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban LT with Autoride

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2008, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2002 Suburban LT with Autoride

The Autoride on my '04 LT has also quit and it seems to be riding worse than before.
Dealer says the compressor needs replacement, but also said that Autoride is only self levelling ride height and makes no difference to the way it rides. Is this true or is the compressor connected to how the truck rides?
Is their anything else other than the compressor I need to replace to get it right?
When do the shocks need replacement and are they connected to or unique to the Autoride system? Truck has about 60k miles.
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
Old March 6th, 2009, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 Chevrolet Suburban LT w/autoride

Hello my suburban has 85000 miles and I have never had a problem with the autoride until recently. It seems to be working intermitantly. I noticed a few months ago that the pump seemed to be running more frequently but I didn't think much of it. Now I am trying to pull my trailer and during the last three days out of 4 trips the system has only pumped up twice. It did seem to be fine the two trips it worked. Any ideas before a visit to the dealer would be really helpful.

Thanks
Rich
Old March 10th, 2009, 9:37 PM
CF Beginner

I have a 2001 with Auto Ride. Im around 105k, I bought the vehicle around 100k. I have used it to tow my boat which is roughly 5,000lbs.

My question is how do I know the Auto Ride is even working? Will I see it or feel it lift the back end up when I start it up after hooking up my boat? I dont notice it do anything. Also when I go over speed bumps the rearend goes over hard like the suspension is really stiff, not what I would expect from a system called auto ride! Plus others on here described a "caddy like" ride with this system.

I have also just recently started to get a strange noise I think is coming from the back, but I cant seem to isolate it yet and it is really only bad upon start up, but it does do it at other times.

After reading this thread I am curious if it could be a faulty pump? My haynes manual does not cover the auto ride so I know nothing about how it works or if this new noise could be related.

The best I can describe the noise is like a loose baffle in a muffler, but I know its not that. Its like a rattle, but a more constant noise when it happens.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 01burban; March 10th, 2009 at 9:43 PM.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 9:45 PM
CF Junior Member

I too am womdering about how to tell if my autoride suspension is working correctly. I have no reason to belive it's not. I've had up to 7000 lbs back there and it handled great. But I'd like to be sure all is well.

I'm coming up on 110k on my '02 and I'm starting to look for shocks to to replace the OE's that are on there.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old January 8th, 2011, 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

hello everyone,i have suburban2005 with 98000 mi,the rear compressor stop working ,can it happened if shacks are licking?or it something else,and that compressor works with just rear shacks or fronts too?
Old January 8th, 2011, 8:16 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

AFAIK, the compressor is only hooked to the rear shocks.
Old March 10th, 2011, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Question on the service ride control - my light is coming on, and my shocks are staying pumped up all the way (the rear of the car is much higher than normal), and this is all after I had a blow out on the right rear tire. Unluckily I was on a trip and had about 2 miles to go on a bridge in LA with no sholders and lots of traffic, so I had to limp it along and ruin the rim. Now it seems to stay pumped all the way up. Is there maybe a sensor that could be bad that is not telling the cpu that it is level, so it keeps pumping it up? I noticed ZX1100F1 has a lot of knowledge about this unit - do you have any thoughts or anyone else?
Thanks,
Brian
Old March 10th, 2011, 6:33 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum.

I would check the sensor linkage on the side that had the flat.
Old April 24th, 2011, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Default Still not sure about what is wrong

I ave replaced the damaged sensor on the passenger side and now the pump will not ever come on. Before I replaced the busted sensor it was always pumping the shocks as high as they would go. I have now taken the compressor out to see if I am getting power to it an it shows of the 7 contacts that 2 have about 5 volts and one has 14 and all are constant. The voltage does not change when I make the sensors move up and down which should send a signal to pump up or at least this is what I assume. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot which part is broken?
Old April 25th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Administrator

My suspicion would be that the sensors feed to the BCM which controls the compressor. Might try disconnecting the battery and touching the + to the - for a few seconds to see if that will reset the computer.

Quick Reply: 2002 Suburban LT with Autoride