Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:56 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

2002 Tahoe Fuel Filter Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2013, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 Tahoe Fuel Filter Nightmare

Hello to all,

I want to thank everyone in advance for your response to this thread (even those who took the time to read it).

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe. I have reached the 300k (actually 299,234k) mile mark. Last week I had a re-manufactured Chevy engine and transmission installed. After driving maybe 50 miles, I noticed the smell of gas (noticed before the re-manufactured engine and transmission install). After looking under the car, I noticed that gas was dripping from the filter. I purchased an aftermarket fuel filter to install on the car. [I]Note: aftermarket fuel filters are sold with the clip that clamps the hose to the filter as well as an O-ring[/I]. After installing the fuel filter, I performed a check test by cranking the car to make sure it was installed properly. The gas started to gush out. I then disconnected the filter and started from beginning. Same results. I installed this filter 5 times (yielding the same results) before taking it back. I then purchased an OEM fuel filter from NAPA. Note: OEM fuel filters do not come with an O-ring, just the clip that fastens the fuel line to the fuel filter. The results were the same. The gas is leaking from the engine side of the fuel filter (side that has the plastic clip). During this install I did perform the proper procedures in disconnecting the fuse and opening the gas cap to relieve the pressure in the fuel line.

In the 300k miles that I have owned this car, I have never paid someone to change my fuel filter. I have always changed the fuel filter myself....and regularly.

Now a GM parts personnel informed me that the O-ring is NOT supposed to be there. In my ownership of this vehicle, I have experienced it working both ways. Besides, that GM personnel blatantly lied about another question that I asked just to close the sale....no credibility in my book anymore.

Can anyone shed some light on the problem as I am convinced that it just might be something else.

Uuuuuuugggghhhhhhhhhh!

Thanks again,
rFactor
Old November 26th, 2013, 7:48 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same exact issue is what we are dealing with tonight. Have any luck figuring your situation out?
Old November 11th, 2014, 1:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default Solution

Did you figure it out, if so, what was the problem? I want to change my filter today but may wait on your response....
Old November 15th, 2014, 8:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doofy03
Did you figure it out, if so, what was the problem? I want to change my filter today but may wait on your response....
Hello doofy03,

I did figure it out and this is what I did:
1) disconnect the "engine" side pressure hose (that connects to the fuel filter) from the vehicle. This made it much easier to see what was really going on
2) disconnect the other end of the fuel filter from the vehicle
3) you can now take the filter and fuel line to your work bench for the rest of this process (you'll need a flashlight and angled and/or hook pick). Disconnect the pressure line from the fuel filter itself. If you pull the pressure line off of the fuel filter nipple and can see a rubber grommet/ring then you are good. Remove this grommet/ring and place it on the new filter and carefully seat the pressure line onto the new fuel filter. B]If not[/B], use your flashlight and look down into the pressure line as the grommet/ring will be down inside the metal casing. Carefully remove it with your angle or hooked pick. It would be a perfect scenario to replace this one with a new as you might cause damage in the removal process. If the manufacturer of the replacement fuel filter did not provide you with a new grommet/ring I would highly recommend that you purchase a new one from your auto parts dealer...you might have to buy an assortment pack with different sizes in it. Place the new grommet/ring onto the nipple of the new fuel filter (the grommet/ring is not suppose to be deep into the hose where you pulled the old one from). Place fuel pressure line onto the nipple...listen for the click.
"Some may say that there should not be a grommet/ring on the nipple....CRAP". The problem never went away for me until I performed the above instructions. Besides, I found a grommet/ring inside the hose...had to come from somewhere.
4) installation is the reverse of uninstall.

This should make you whole again.

Just make sure to relieve the fuel line pressure before attempting this job. I'm sure you can find a better tasting STRONG drink. LOL!!!!!!!

Hope this information can assist you in completing you filter change.

rFactor
The following users liked this post:
Erikwils1 (September 10th, 2023)
Old September 10th, 2023, 7:17 PM
CF Beginner

That is really good info, I’m about change mine also, I purchased a new filter (before looking at the original) the new one has threaded connections on both sides where I need the one with the “quick disconnect” on one side
(I don’t have the FLEX FUEL model Tahoe) 🤷🏽‍♂️

thanks again for the good advice