Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Tahoe won't turn over

Search this Thread

Old June 28th, 2014, 6:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Tahoe won't turn over

Came home last night from dinner and parked Tahoe right outside garage. Woke up this morning went to crank it and nothing. No lights, no dinging, no anything. thought maybe a door had been left open or interior light left on and completely drained the battery. put the charger on the battery, nothing, it was like I haven't even attached the charger to anything.

Tried a different battery charger.... Same thing. Tried to use a quick start portable jump battery.... nothing again.

Pulled battery out and put it on charge, battery was at below 30% but started charging immediately.

I have never had anything like this happen before.

haven't done anything else yet but I am really at a loss so far.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try.???

Thanks!!
Old June 29th, 2014, 7:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
Depending on how old the battery is it may just be its time...
Check and clean the battery terminals and check the condition of the cables, they need to be clean and snug, check for any corrosion and swelling of the cables, particularly the ground cable, replace as needed.
Check the mega-fuse located on the firewall if you are getting no power at all to the vehicle and you have a known good battery...(check all fuses in the under hood box also)
Old June 29th, 2014, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

I agree with in2pro and if you do get it charged OK, I'd take it to an auto parts store and get the battery checked. Especially if the battery is over three years old.
Old June 30th, 2014, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

I pulled the battery out and put it on charge without it being connected to the truck. It took a charge and tested just fine. Reinstalled and now all good to go.

I have never had a battery that wouldn't charge side bolt terminals. ( I don't prefer them however)

All's well that ends well.

thanks!!!
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Glad it worked out for you. I suspect part of the problem might have been due to a poor connection between the battery and the charger when the battery was still in the truck. That problem could have been due to the side terminals also.