Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3 V8 Automatic Climate Control Problem

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2017, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 5.3 V8 Automatic Climate Control Problem

My wife front A/C Blower Motor stopped working. I went and bought new Blower Motor and when I installed it it started working. The next day it stopped working again. I got my voltage meter and tested the wires that go to the blower motor resistor from the automatic control module, the red wire had power but the purple (I think) wire that is suppose do show different volts depending on fan speed is not showing any volts at all. I even had key on and working fan speed and nothing. I don't think it is the blower motor resistor. I would really appreciate any help.
Old October 30th, 2017, 6:14 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check the HVAC1fuse? It's in the left side instrument panel fuse block. Also check the HVAC/ECAS fuse in the underhood fuse block
Make sure you have a good ground (BLK wire) at the Blower Speed Controller (resistor).
I'd then try to do a HVAC reset by pulling the HVAC/ECAS fuse, give the HVAC control module a couple of minutes to reset before touching any HVAC controls after replacing the fuse. The blending door actuators need time to re-calibrate.
Old October 30th, 2017, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default Climate control

Thank you for the info. I will check this evening. I did check fuse but didn't know about reset. I appreciate your input and will give that a try.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mstblt, found this online, sounds like your problem, maybe it will help..

G.M. SERVICE BULLETIN
Special Coverage Adjustment
Bulletin No.: 11046

Date: April 07, 2011

Subject: 11046.......SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT........Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning Blower Not Fully Functional on All Blower Speeds, Inoperative, or Runs Continuously with the IGNITION OFF.

Models:
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003"-2007" Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL
2003-2007 GMC Sierra
Equipped with Manual HVAC (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Due to part availability, owner letters will be released in phases starting with older model year first. Owners for model year vehicles not included in first phase owner mailing will receive an owner advisory letter.

The letter will inform the customer that parts are not yet available and that another letter will be sent to them when parts become available. A copy of this letter will be attached to the dealer message announcing this bulletin.

In the meantime, if a customer brings their vehicle to the dealership with the condition described in this bulletin, repair the vehicle using the parts called out in this bulletin.

Condition.......On some 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra vehicles equipped with a manual heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system (CJ3) or heavy duty heater (C42), the interface between the electrical terminals of the relay Resistor Module and the Wiring Connector that powers the module may be incapable of conducting higher current levels for sustained periods of blower motor operation. In addition, moisture and other contaminants may enter the fresh air intake plenum and contact the internal circuit of the module or corrode the terminals. Either of the above may cause the relay resistor module or wiring connector to overheat, resulting in one or more of the following symptoms:

- The HVAC blower may not function on certain or all blower speed settings
- A burning plastic smell or smoke may be present in the vehicle
- The HVAC blower may run continually with the ignition in the OFF position

IN VERY RARE events, if the above Symptoms are Ignored......A FIRE Could Occur.

..........SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT.......This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of .....10 YEARS or 150,000 MILES(240,000km).....whichever occurs first, from the Date the Vehicle was Originally Placed into Service.......Regardless of Ownership.

Dealer are to install a New Blower Module Connector......and the Repair will be made at No Charge to the Customer.

Important.......For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, All eligible Claims with repair orders on or after April 8 2001 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with Repair orders prior to April 8 2011 must be Sumitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved,
Involved are certain 2003-2006 model year Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Yukon, Yukon XL; and 2003-2007 Model year Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Vehicles equipped with a Manual HVAV (CJ3) or Heavy Duty Heater (C42)

Important,
Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the Applicable Warranties section in the Global Warranty Management system.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:12 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Additionally, my 2002 Tahoe had a climate control problem as well except in my case, the blower was running and was just blowing cold air. There was a couple things done for that which included re-routing the wire harness to the climate control module as it was misrouted and pulling on the connectors causing bad connections and the second attempt was a new climate control module which was had different programming to make it act differently.
Old November 2nd, 2017, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default Auto control module

thanks for your help. I haven't had a chance to further investigate the problem. My wife uses it as daily driver. I really appreciate everyone's input. I love this forum. I have worked on many vehicles in my time but electrical is a week spot when it comes to automatic A/C control. You all have giving me things to check. Many thanks!