Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban Oil Consumption

Old April 5th, 2017, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban Oil Consumption

I know that some have had luck with disabling AFM to fix their oil consumption issues but from what I've read that doesn't apply to my 03. I'm currently using at least two quarts of oil per change, sometimes more. It's not smoking and it's not leaking. Does anyone know of anything to help mitigate this? I've had the truck since 67k miles, it currently has 187k and it's been doing this from the beginning.

Thanks.
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Defective PCV...? on the 07's it required changing the drivers side valve cover...
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
Defective PCV...? on the 07's it required changing the drivers side valve cover...
I've changed the PCV but not the valve cover.
Old April 5th, 2017, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't know if the 06 and below 5.3 engine was affected by the PCV valve cover issue....
Not smoking can be masked by the cats burning off the excess oil for now... if its consuming the oil via the combustion process, eventually the cats will clog with the oil sludge...
How do the spark plugs look? are they fouled with oil? all of them just some of them? valve stem seals can leak, they are more prone to leaking if the engine has ever overheated...
Old April 5th, 2017, 3:16 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The oil's obviously going somewhere. Check for fouled plugs, or valve cover leaks near the exhaust manifold.

Search this Thread