Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban Rear Axle / Differential Cover w/Drain

Search this Thread

Old April 28th, 2020, 9:20 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban Rear Axle / Differential Cover w/Drain

I've slowly working my way thru changing out all the fluids on my 2003 Suburban four-wheel drive with a G80 differential. After watching a couple of YouTube videos on how to change out the differential fluid, I was surprised to find that my Suburban does NOT have a drain plug on the differential housing. I have to pull the differential cover, which is far messier and requires replacing the gasket.

I'm looking for suggestions on replacing the differential cover with one that has a drain plug and after looking around online, I see that the prices run all over the place, with many designed for improved cooling, racing or off-road use, etc. I'm looking for a standard-style replacement that doesn't negatively affect anything inside the housing.

Any suggestions as to brand and model?

Thank you very much!
Old April 28th, 2020, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 510 Likes on 470 Posts

see if you can source a reusable gasket. they don't need rtv and re-install quickly with little clean up required. similar to the reuseable trans pan gasket; my truck has one from oem and it makes changes easy. price is $40
don't get sucked into the aftermarket covers... as you are aware; they use hold more fluid but end up starving the pinion bearing as the oil throw off from the ring gear changes.

Old April 29th, 2020, 11:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by tech2
see if you can source a reusable gasket. they don't need rtv and re-install quickly with little clean up required. similar to the reuseable trans pan gasket; my truck has one from oem and it makes changes easy. price is $40
don't get sucked into the aftermarket covers... as you are aware; they use hold more fluid but end up starving the pinion bearing as the oil throw off from the ring gear changes.
I don't mind the cost of the replacement gasket if I have to remove the differential cover. I'm looking to replace the cover with a drain plug to make the fluid change a lot simpler and cleaner.
Old April 29th, 2020, 2:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 675 Likes on 613 Posts

You shouldn't need to change the gear oil very often. So when you do, it's a good idea to open it right up so you can inspect the condition, clean off the magnet, clean out sludge that collects at the bottom, etc.
Old April 29th, 2020, 4:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
You shouldn't need to change the gear oil very often. So when you do, it's a good idea to open it right up so you can inspect the condition, clean off the magnet, clean out sludge that collects at the bottom, etc.
I know you're right... I just need to convince myself due to all the extra work for such a simple task.