Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 tahoe not starting

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2014, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 tahoe not starting

Hello all so im having problems with my 03 Hoe...she will not crank. beleiving it was the starter i swapped that out and nothing, shorted the new starter to battery with key "on" . the starter turned and turned but still no life at the engine, the heat will blow dash lights on rado turns on but no start/crank/turnover. i tightened the posts on the battery after reading it seems to be the problem with these trucks and still nothing. i tried resetting the passlock system too, but when i turn the key then pull it back to "on" i dont see the security/passlock emblem untill after like 5-10 mins but then it never shuts off for me to perform any cycle to attempt to "relearn"..could it be the neutral saftey switch? the ignition switch?... would either of these switches cut off power to the engine so that it would not start even when shorting the starter? with key in i tried starting it in neutral and nothing. Now when i throw it in reverse the reverse lights dont come on...does this mean its the neutral saftey since it also controls backup lights? and ontop of all this BS when i connect my obd scanner to it, it gives me an error that it could not read the truck, i have conected this same scanner to the truck in the past and it DID pull codes(yes i made sure the lighter fuse was good as ive read this is what controls the power to the obd port)

im at a loss...any help/suggestions/troubleshooting would be appreciated

thanks guys
Old February 18th, 2014, 5:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an issue like that with my old expedition. Came to find out it was the shifter, I had to move it all the way up to park and then it would crank. So if tthat's the neutral switch you're referring to...then yeah. More than likely your culprit