Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Service Auto4WD Light

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2014 | 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 Service Auto4WD Light

Back in the beginning of October I purchased a 2004 Chevy Tahoe Z71 and I love it. I have found a few problems with it that I need to work on but need some help getting started:
1. In snow/icy conditions I will put it into Auto 4WD and I can feel it working here and there but sometimes (with no regularity) I get a message stating "Service Auto4WD". It won't allow me to put it back into 2WD until I turn the vehicle completely off and restart it. Any ideas?
2. I would love some more ideas on how to get better gas mileage in it. I have red some posts talking about staying under 2000 RPM's and have been doing that and gained some. I also changed to full synthetic oil which seemed to raise it some more. I have changed the spark plugs, wires, and put in a K&N filter. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
3. I have problems with it locking fully with the remote. Sometimes I'll come up to the vehicle and open the door and the alarm will go off because it didn't fully engage the locks.

I'm a newcomer here with posting but I've been looking at this site for quite some time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,