Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Suburban 4WD Shifting in and out of 4WD by itself

Search this Thread

Old May 8th, 2019, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2004 Suburban 4WD Shifting in and out of 4WD by itself

Hey Guys,

I have a 2004 Suburban 1500 Z71. In quite a bit of research, I can't find anyone who has this issue:

We started seeing the "Service 4WD light" coming on a few months ago. Every time the suburban is started up, the switch shows that it's in 4H. When I press the "Auto 4WD" button, the switch shows that it is going back into Auto and acts like there's no problem. The lights have never blinked or gone crazy.

Besides the switch showing that it's in 4WD every time it's started, there's another problem: When driving it, it goes in and out of 4WD randomly. The Auto 4WD light stays solid, but it's switching in and out of 4WD without telling the switch. We have put all 230,000 miles on the suburban and can definitely tell when 4WD engages.

When I turn the suburban off and back on, the switch shows that it's in 4H, even though when I turn it off, the switch showed that it was in Auto.
  • I removed, cleaned and made sure the connections are solid with the wires under the driver's side door (everyone's first step when the service light comes on)
  • Then, I replaced the actuator on the front axel.
  • Then, I replaced the switch in the dash.

Since I did those 3 things, the "Service 4WD" light has stopped coming on but the random toggling between 2WD and 4WD has continued.

All of the research I have done tells me that if it was a failing Transfer Case Shift Motor, it would fail to shift from 2WD to 4WD or get stuck in one position. That's very different than my problem.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old May 8th, 2019, 4:15 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

I am not expert on automatic four wheel drive systems (old-school, prefer manual shifting of transfer case) but my guess is that your Transfer Case Control Module might have gone bad. I have included a YouTube video of a man showing how to remove it near the steering column on a 2004 2004 Silverado 1500 z71, in case you decide to
replace yours, assuming its likely the same way to remove one on a 2004 Chevy Suburban 4x4: