Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Tahoe AC problems: Hot Driver/no fans

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2014, 5:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Tahoe AC problems: Hot Driver/no fans

Hey all. Ok, I know this subject has been beat to death with this particular problem, however mine has a recent twist. I've got the dual climate that's been occasionally blowing hot only on the driver's side. Possibly the actuator, etc. However, now the fan/blower has stopped working. Only for the front driver/passenger. The rear fans (back seaters) work fine and blows cold.
As long as the AC is turned on up front and I leave the recirculation off, at speed outside air moves through the vents and i get some cold air through the driver/passenger vents.

Could this new twist of no fans blowing up front have something to do with the actuators or the root cause of the hot/cold issue?

I'm just looking for guidance that will divert me from taking it to the dealership and getting bent over.

Thanks!
Old July 25th, 2014, 8:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

imo your have 2 unrelated problems.

for the blower problem:
turn the blower on high, key in run, then trying hammer fisting the blower motor. if it starts working you need a new blower motor. if it still won't blow; inspect the wiring connector that the resistor and blower are fed from. the pick ups had a connection issue that would melt this connector.
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:43 PM
CF Beginner

Where exactly is the blower motor, so I can hammer fist it?
Old July 26th, 2014, 8:22 AM
Super Moderator

in the passenger footwell below the glovebox. Some models have it covered by a insulator panel. try hitting the panel first but don't wreck the panel. panel removal will be needed if further diagnosis is required.
Old July 30th, 2014, 5:58 PM
CF Beginner

How can I determine if it's a resistor, blower motor, or hvac control unit? What sort of test can I run?
Old July 30th, 2014, 7:30 PM
Super Moderator

start by checking for power and grd at the blower motor connector. there should be power on one wire and grd at the other; when the key is in run and the fan switch on