Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 Tahoe LT parasitic battery drain

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2020, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Tahoe LT parasitic battery drain

I'm getting about 90ma of current drain, which in a couple of days runs the battery down enough that it will not crank to start.
I have connected the positive terminal of the battery directly to the under hood fuse block without the starter and alternator tied in. With all things turned off I'm getting
90ma of current draw. The question is, with all fuses and relays pulled from the under hood fuse block, where could the drain be coming from?
Old October 12th, 2020, 2:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by staskus
I'm getting about 90ma of current drain, which in a couple of days runs the battery down enough that it will not crank to start.
I have connected the positive terminal of the battery directly to the under hood fuse block without the starter and alternator tied in. With all things turned off I'm getting
90ma of current draw. The question is, with all fuses and relays pulled from the under hood fuse block, where could the drain be coming from?
Just the fuse's and relays from under the hood? You might look in the cab for another fuse block, I believe drivers side?
Old October 12th, 2020, 2:47 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

The best place to always start when looking for a draw is to have your DVOM hooked up and monitor what the draw is and then unplug the alternator. The diodes in there can go bad causing a draw and that is an easy place to start. Since you have done the relays under the hood then the next place is the fuse block under the dash at the firewall and I believe there is a fuse cover on the driver's side end of dash that you can search for the problem as well. When you find the culprit, make sure you check all items ran by that fuse/relay. Many times the fuse will control several items. There is also fuse block under the vehicle along the frame area near the back to look at. It is more of a power junction block but should be checked. You should also read this, especially if you are in a rust belt state:

https://www.fixmyoldride.com/Chevrol...pos=3&at_tot=4

Last edited by PNW NBS Z71; October 12th, 2020 at 2:51 PM.
Old October 12th, 2020, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

I have also removed the fuses and relays in both fuse blocks in the dash area, no reduction in current drain. The same for the alternator, unplugged
and no reduction in current. I have also unplugged the connectors underneath and around the under hood fuse block, same result of no change in current draw.
Old October 12th, 2020, 4:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 625 Likes on 566 Posts

I'm getting about 90ma of current drain, which in a couple of days runs the battery down
That should not happen to a healthy battery.

In a couple of days, 0.09 A x 48h = 4 Ah
A typical battery will have 120min x 25A of reserve capacity = 50Ah
With a 90mA drain, your battery should last more than 23 days and still be able to start the vehicle.

I have read that computer modules in new cars can normally draw up to 100mA.

Either the battery is in bad shape, or you have a bad connection.

Last edited by mountainmanjoe; October 12th, 2020 at 4:31 PM.
Old October 12th, 2020, 5:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I have also removed the fuses and relays in both fuse blocks in the dash area, no reduction in current drain. The same for the alternator, unplugged
and no reduction in current. I have also unplugged the connectors underneath and around the under hood fuse block, same result of no change in current draw.
With everything unhooked, put the ignition switch to start, does the voltage (or current) drop?
Old October 12th, 2020, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

After I first had this problem I made sure I wasn’t leaving any lights on and the problem of not having enough power to start the vehicle continued after setting for
10 to 12 days. My first action was to have a new battery installed thinking that a 4 year old battery was probably on its last legs. The new battery acted the same.
By the way, in looking in the repair manual, it indicates that a100ma drain would cause problems after 8.5 days. This seems to correlate with what I’m experiencing with my Tahoe.
Old April 28th, 2021, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

I'm getting about 90ma of current drain
90mA = 0,09 A. Are you sure that it can call as a parasitic drain? Try to find any good working car and measure its current drain. I think that a car's central processor can use 90mA in idle mode, central lock, and car alarm
Old April 28th, 2021, 3:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Yes, I agree entirely

@staskus , It would be best if you thought about a new battery. If you write what cat you use, I can find a good battery for your car model.
Also, I can recommend this website to choose the right AGM battery.
There you can find battery group descriptions, battery capacity, and sizes for many cars
Old April 28th, 2021, 3:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Yes, I agree entirely

@staskus , It would be best if you thought about a new battery. If you write what cat you use, I can find a good battery for your car model.
Also, I can recommend this website to choose the right AGM battery.
There you can find battery group descriptions, battery capacity, and sizes for many cars

Quick Reply: 2004 Tahoe LT parasitic battery drain