Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Chevy Suburban HVAC Problems Galor!

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2015, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Chevy Suburban HVAC Problems Galor!

HI guys,
New here newer to Chevy and especially SUV's in general never owned one before ever. Anyhow I have a 2005 Chevy Suburban LT over all it's a nice SUV, but it's had some really really dare I say idiotic problems. I owned a 1994 Chevy Impala SS a few years back and I'll say this I like the design and layout of a lot of GM products, but unfortunately GM has let me down sad to say more then once and they certainly do somethings well, but other stuff not so well I think there cars are over engineered that's my conclusion with them.

However I'm back on the horse and here it goes I need some opinions.
My 2005 Suburban Mechanically is in fine shape it's clean inside and out and the motor runs great no idiot lights on doesn't use oil drives and runs great.

Unfortunately it has had some problems that it should have never had.
Problem #1 and this infuriates me because this is the perfect example of a repair and money spent that should have never had to have been spent.

The SUV was parked and the rear view mirror just fell right off the windshield just fell right off and cracked the windshield when it fell off so there's $225.00 that I'll never get back for a new windshield (I've never had that happen on any other vehicle I have ever owned and am far as I am concerned that should have not happened on this vehicle either that is the perfect example of something that should have never had happened.)

Also and this is a very common problem a perfect example of goofy over engineering my second row passenger captains chair you know the one that is supposed to slide forward so people can get into the third row? Well as you all know those are prone to breaking, because the design on them is so goofy nobody can figure it out. Anyhow I had that fixed ($612.00) at the Chevy dealer and even they had trouble fixing it. Once again something that was broke that should have never broke.

Anyhow here's what I am dealing with now,
I had the A/C charged and it works, but when it's really hot you have to really hammer on it and I know what that means it means the evaporator is shot. I've been around these cars long enough 9 times out of 10 when you have an AC problem it's a bad evaporator no one likes to say it, but we all know that's what it is.

However here's what happened today went to turn on the heat for the first time because it's nice and cool out, and the car just started blowing outside cold air in. Then the air turned hot and then it started blowing cold again. So I took the negative connection off the battery disconnected it waited 10 minutes reconnected it and it seemed to work after that, but it's not fixed permanently so what could be wrong? Is there a bad switch or control?

Then turned on the heat to the back, the back gets nice and toasty when turned on from the front HVAC control on the ceiling. However when I switched the switch on the ceiling air control to AUX and went to use the HVAC control that the passengers would use if they want to set the temp them selves I had much trouble. The control does control the fan and that works well, but the rear temp control for the passengers does not do a darn thing, so what's wrong with that and what is the part on that, that needs to be replaced?

Third and this is a very common problem on these automobiles in the summer the front passenger vents blow hot air when the AC is on and in the cool weather they blow cold air when the heat is on. I think this means the actuator or blend door for the passenger side is shot correct?

Sorry if I came off a little strong my patience for these overly complex and half baked manufactured automobile HVAC systems is running a little thin.

I mean don't get me wrong the Suburban is very comfy and has some really nice features and the idea behind it is good and really nice, but some of the execution in the manufacturing on some of the features is questionable.

Oh did I also mention big surprise here (being sarcastic) the factory GM theft lock radio that was in the Chevy Suburban the CD player malfunctioned and didn't work I had it pulled and had an after market Sony put in, and the same thing happened on my 1994 Impala SS the CD player took a dump and I had the radio pulled and had them put an after market JVC in turns out from some research I did those GM Theft Lock Radios in the Chevys and GMC the CD players are prone to malfunctioning and breaking. The radio I don't care about though because I was going to replace it anyhow and update the technology in it a little bit anyhow.