Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Sub Suspension Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2015, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Sub Suspension Rebuild

Is this a project a guy can do in the driveway with hand tools?

I was gonna buy the new control arms with bushings and ball joints already installed.
Old December 9th, 2015, 8:32 PM
CF Veteran

depends on your set of "hand tools" but as long as you're comfortable working with torsion bars it shouldn't be a huge deal, make sure to get an alignment afterwards.
Old December 9th, 2015, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Don't know much about the torsion bar, will have to figure it out. I have rebuild the front end of my BMW X5, major PiTA.
Old December 13th, 2015, 10:26 PM
CF Beginner

Getting ready to order parts. I took some pics of the components to get people's opinion. The good news is that it does not look as bad as I though it would. Also both torsion bar bolts are out and even with each other so I will be able to raise the front end. I want to change as few parts as necessary on this truck, but I also want it to drive right and be safe for the family. My plan now is to just order Moog uppers control arms and some ties rods. I think the lowers are fine and I don't want the hassle of changing them. Right now the car feels a bit loose and has a slight rattle. Here are some pics of the parts:

Old December 14th, 2015, 1:02 AM
Administrator

Received 159 Likes on 157 Posts

How many miles on the truck? Have you checked the ball joints, tie rod ends, and control arm bushings for wear? FWIW, the lower joints usually wear out first because they carry most of the load.
Old December 14th, 2015, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the reply,

The truck has 166K on it. Looking at it the bottom control arm looks like it has at least had the ball joint replaced. The bolts are all clean where it connects to the frame and the ball joints look fine. Do you know of a easy way to test them without taking it apart?
Old December 16th, 2015, 9:15 PM
CF Veteran

jack the tire up, grab it on each side and rock it very slightly if you feel any slack something is loose, can do the same rocking top and bottom for wheel bearings/balljoints. You can also put a prybar under the tire and lift on it to see if the balljoints have any slack in them.

From those pictures it looks like it has never had an alignment done so definitely get that checked.
Old December 17th, 2015, 10:46 AM
CF Beginner

Do you say no alignment has not been done, because the upper control adjustment is bottomed out?
Old December 18th, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Veteran

because the factory lock tab is still on the eccentric bolt/nut