Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Suburban blowing hot air on driver side.

Old July 15th, 2009, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2005 Suburban blowing hot air on driver side.

Hello all, I am new to the forum. I have found a wealth of info so far, and decided to join. I realize similar questions on this issue have been posted, but I needed some clarification on some points.

My wife and I just bought a 2005 Suburban last week. The battery was the original, so I swapped it out last Sunday. Pretty easy thing to do, but now we have problems. We have digital dual climate control, and the driver side is blowing hot air. The passenger, and rear are working fine. I have done alot of research and have come to the conclusion it may be the blend door actuator. I have followed some "re start" procedures and it seems to calibrate and starts blowing cold air, but ends up blowing hot.

The questions I have are as follows. What I don't understand is it was working just fine, until I swapped batteries. How can it all of a sudden be "faulty"?
I have seen the diagrams to remove and replace the actuator, and the re-calibration steps. What I need is clarification on something. Is the HVAC Control Module the same as the blend door actuator? If I replace the blend door actuator what do I have to reset it?

Thank You
The following users liked this post:
Kimberly Morales (August 18th, 2022)
Old July 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum. Someone here should be able to help.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 12:49 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing hot air on drivers side

Hopefully you have resolved your problem by now, but in case not:

I'm having the same problem on a 2004 Suburban. Mine was intermittent a few times but has now failed on full hot. I have a set of shop manuals for our 2003 Avalanche, which also covers Suburbans. Probably the same for 2004.

There is a left side air temperature actuator and it is apparently going to full hot. I removed the "Insulator - Instrument Panel", which is on the passenger side so I could get to the actuator. Then I unplugged the connector from the actuator. The A/C on the drivers side would then work more or less normally. I assume that the actuator defaults to a neutral position if it doesn't get voltage, at least that is what it seems to do.

In my case I am suspecting one of the temperature sensors is the actual problem. My vehicle had been stolen and the gauge cluster and radio were taken. They have since been replaced with new units. I suspect there is either a damaged wire or a plug that is not fully seated. Could also be a defective part.

With a Scan Tool and the Shop Manual, it looks like you can monitor and control most of the A/C electronics so it should be possible to isolate the problem. I'll be working on that myself once I get a Scan Tool. Need on to maintain the vehicle anyway.
Old September 12th, 2010, 3:13 PM
CF Beginner

2004 Z71 Suburban. Same problem with drives side air???
Old September 13th, 2010, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Beebe, what kink of restarts did you do? I have heat on the pass. side and ac on drivers. Same thing happen with mine, had a dead battery this morning and when I put in new battery it wasn't working correctly.
2004 Tahoe.
Old September 13th, 2010, 7:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that problem on a 2004 Avalanche after replacing the battery. Here's what I did to fix it. Start the engine. Set the passengers side temp to max hot. Set the drivers side to max cold. Wait a while, turn off engine. Restart engine and reverse the settings (passenger max cold, drivers max hot). Wait a minute and turn off engine. Restart and move settings to desired temp. You may have to repeat the procedure but it worked for me.
Old September 14th, 2010, 3:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, Just read my email. I tried a bunch of things. But if I recall the following worked for me.

1. Turn the car to "on" but don't start
2. Press the OFF button on the heater two times
3. Turn ignition OFF - wait 30 seconds
4. Turn ignition ON - but don't start
5. Wait 3 - minutes then start vehicle...
Old September 14th, 2010, 7:36 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I went out to the Tahoe this morning and it was working fine. I guess it reset on its on.
Old August 30th, 2012, 11:55 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Beebe
Sorry, Just read my email. I tried a bunch of things. But if I recall the following worked for me.

1. Turn the car to "on" but don't start
2. Press the OFF button on the heater two times
3. Turn ignition OFF - wait 30 seconds
4. Turn ignition ON - but don't start
5. Wait 3 - minutes then start vehicle...
Thank you Beebe! I had the same problem with my '09 tahoe. I reset it just like you said and it worked like a charm. Guess the dealership will hafta find another way to take my $400.
Old October 5th, 2012, 10:44 PM
CF Beginner

Most of the time, it is the blend door actuator that goes bad. Same on my 04 Suburban. Shutting the ignition off usually resets it but it generally happens again. Replaced my actuator tonight. Will let you know!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Suburban blowing hot air on driver side.