Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2006 gas filter question

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2011, 9:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 gas filter question

I don't know why they stoped putting a gas filter on these trucks.
Anyone ever installed an aftermarked gas filter?
How and where did you get it.

Why did chevy do this? anyone know.
Old October 29th, 2011, 6:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the filter wasn't necessarily eliminated, it was moved into the gas tank. this eliminated one more part to replace with maintanence. a clogged fuel filter can kill an electric pump fast. alot of manufacturers have done away with the conventional fuel filter.

putting a filter inline may not necessarily be a good idea. it could cause enough restriction in the flow to starve the motor. you not only need a certain psi, but a certain volume as well. an additional filter may not allow the needed volume. if you are having fuel issues, you may want to fix the problem.
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
the filter wasn't necessarily eliminated, it was moved into the gas tank. this eliminated one more part to replace with maintanence. a clogged fuel filter can kill an electric pump fast. alot of manufacturers have done away with the conventional fuel filter.

putting a filter inline may not necessarily be a good idea. it could cause enough restriction in the flow to starve the motor. you not only need a certain psi, but a certain volume as well. an additional filter may not allow the needed volume. if you are having fuel issues, you may want to fix the problem.
So what about the one in the fuel filter being clogged?If that gets clogged than what you have to drop the tank to replace it.that just doesn't seem smart to me.

Also I have a emmissions control part behind the gas tank(emission vent solinoid) that throws a code P0449 and goes bad about every 30K.I have a light on now,it's only about 20 bucks online but why does this go bad?I stop putting gas in as soon as the pump stops to prevent overfill which I tought was why it was going bad but that wasn't it.If mine has gone bad 3 times now other people must have the same problem