Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 5.3 Tahoe Oil Consumption Issues

Search this Thread

Old December 30th, 2012, 5:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny how everyone had a different excuse,I to had oil consumption problem at 60k and they tried to tell me it had something to do with oil baffle ,then they ck'd history and found out it was done already on warranty,fortionatly I bought sub with a certified warranty.Ended up telling me cylinders were zebra striped and they replaced the eng.,only have 1k on it now.Sounds like a common problem with flex fuel 5.3's
Old December 30th, 2012, 5:49 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

that's because the fix has 4 different levels of repair. Some levels are not performed if the problem is corrected at an earlier step.
Old February 16th, 2013, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Default More oil issues!!!!!

Good Morning All,

It has been a little while since posting....12/18/12 was my last oil change. I am sort of kicking my own butt for not posting about a month ago. I checked my oil then which was near 1,500 miles on the oil change. I was shocked that I was on the fourth hole on my dip stick, so since not really low I did not post?

Last night while out on the two week Walmart run, I noticed a message from the DIC "add oil, low oil." Awesome!!! My wife drives this vehicle everyday, so not sure if this notification was showing earlier in the week or not?

Back at home and the groceries put away, I go back out to check the oil. I am down on the very tip of the dip stick....see first pic at bottom of this post.

I only had a single quart of Havoline 10W-30 on hand at the house, and so added the quart. This brought me back up to the forth hole on the dip stick....see second pic at the bottom of this post. I did start the engine for about a minute to circulate this quart and to see if the "add oil" message went away. This did remove the DIC message.

My oil life is currently at 64% and my mileage is 97,674 which puts me at 2,348 miles on the this oil change. So once again we are at a little over one quart consumed in around 2,000 miles. I am going to grab another quart on my way home today to bring it up to the max capacity and the fifth hole on my dip stick.

I am going to talk again with my auto shop this week to see which of the multiple ideas we should try first on correcting this problem and if he thinks I should get a dealership involved in this mess. I did not purchase any type of extended warranty on this "used" vehicle, so not sure that I will get much done without hurting my wallet and just not a lot of "EXTRA" cash laying around these days!!!

Thanks again, will keep you all posted
Attached Thumbnails 2007 5.3 Tahoe Oil Consumption Issues-oillow1.jpg   2007 5.3 Tahoe Oil Consumption Issues-oillow2.jpg  
Old February 16th, 2013, 7:34 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I doubt one qt in over 2K miles @ 97K miles is going to get you any relief. Don't know what the current trip point is but 40 years ago, it was one qt/500 miles.
Old February 17th, 2013, 8:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

twayne...are you over the powertrain warranty 5year 100 000 miles? Engine consuming oil is powertrain.
Old February 17th, 2013, 9:50 AM
CF Beginner

hello all newbie to site
i have same problem would like to know how to fix problem
i think im out of extended warranty at 90,000
im now at 100,242
Old February 17th, 2013, 1:49 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

The 2007 and up had a five year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. If you brought this problem to the dealer's attention prior to it expiring, then you should still be covered.
Old April 29th, 2021, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

Default 5.3 Motors made after 03, consume oil

[QUOTE=Twayne;234875]Wife and I purchased a 2007 5.3 Tahoe back in the spring 2012. It had 86,600 at time of purchase. Had and oil change from the dealership, and so only had like 800 miles when we made the purchase. I ran it for the normal 3,000 miles and changed it myself. I run all my vehicles with the Mobile 5000 mile oil, NAPA Gold oil filters, and trade one quart of oil for the Lucas Pure Synthetic. We drive a lot and so 5,000 miles comes pretty quick. I changed the above mentioned oil at 89,500 and applied all the products I just mentioned. I had my Tahoe in for a tire rotation and nitro fill at around 92,000, which had me around 1,500 miles on my oil change. My auto shop asked me about my oil change status when I picked up my ride. He said we checked your level and your a quart low. I advised him that I was only 1,500 miles into an oil change. He told me they did not find anything leaking and that I should watch this close. He has another 2007 Tahoe from another customer that burns about 3 quarts between oil changes. He also stated that they have noticed on her Tahoe, it consumes more oil if she goes on long trips and runs hours at a time on the interstate. I added a quart of oil to mine that very night. We have been making trips to St. Louis on a regular basis with heart surgery issues on our six year old daughter. I am due an oil change in about 250 miles on the above mentioned plan, so close to 4,750 miles. I don't want to speak out of line, but in the back of my mind I may have added another quart after that first one at around 2,600 and 2,800 miles? Anyway, I have been so crazy busy I have not checked after our last round of St. Louis hospital runs. My wife called me on her way to work this Friday 12/07/12. "Hey, honey, I am almost to work and I just noticed a light and a message that the car is low on oil?" Long story short, two full quarts low this time!!! That is now for sure 3 quarts in 5,000 miles and I am 96% positive I added the other one so really we are at 4 quarts in 5,000 miles????

My auto shop told me that rings are covered with carbon on the piston. They tried several old school treatment ideas on the above mentioned customers Tahoe and were NOT able to correct her problem either. He advised me of a chemical treatment product that is made by BK or B & K I can not remember for sure, but will ask him again next time I am in there.

If this is so common, what is GM doing or going to do to help correct this problem for the public???? Since they were so quick to take a bail out from the government.....oh wait.....ALL of us hard working americans really paid for that!!!! Then I guess they could help donate some of that back and help us get or rides in good . Haven't heard about B&K ,The product that have been running through the intake,with compressed air is B & G canister into the throttle body with the fuel Relay taken off the vehicle will smoke, but the injection system will be super clean and, however it will not fix your oil consumption problem, after 2002 all GM 5.3 Trucks no longer had two things a fuel filter that you can change, but most importantly no PCV valve at least not one that you can change easily, you have to change the engine valve cover and Gasket on the passenger side and it's not a cheap serviceable part like on my 02 ,the little replacement valve is around 2$ out the door so I changed it every oil change, gotta Change the whole valve cover and Gasket on my mom's 07 LTZ Thaoe
Old April 30th, 2021, 7:13 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Your quoting a 8 yr old post....
My '11 Tahoe with 120k miles on it uses 1/2 qt. of oil every 7500 miles with occasional towing.
BG treatments are a shop money generator just like low ''T'' supplements...