Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2007 Chevy Brake Rotor and Pad replacement help?

Search this Thread

Old December 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced rotors because the mechanic suggested it. This is the first time the brake pads and rotors has been worked on since we bought the tahoe brand new in 2006. I never had any problem till now. I guess it's about time since the mileage is rising. The dash board light in the information center has been off for about a year now. I would not know the mileage i have in that tahoe if it hadn't been for onstar which i'm subscribed to. I brought it to the dealer one time and they said it is a common problem with tahoes once it hit the 100,000 miles marker. They said the whole dash board needs to be replace and we're looking at $2,000 or more expenses... ouch!
Old December 18th, 2010, 1:42 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Might check for refurb IPs or one out of a wreck.

BTW were the rotors new?
Old May 31st, 2011, 7:44 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the front and back rotors/pads this weekend. we were at 61000 miles on the originals and had about 1 or 2 mm left. the rotors had a few grooves in them so I replaced them. I got everything from Autozone. the CMAX pads for front and regular ceramic for the back and the duralast rotors.
it took me about 3 hours total because I took my time (drank a few beverages with my neighbor) and cleaned the heck out of the tires/rims when I had them off.
overall it was not hard other than a few of the bolts were tough to get off - a pipe on the end of the ratchet made life much easier.
a few random tips
- be sure to take out the calipar slide pins and lube the up real good with brake lube. 3 of the 4 were very dry when I took them out.
- I used an old brake pad and a C clamp to push the pistons back in
- like others have said be sure to check your brake fluid. mine was right in the middle when I started but after putting on the new pads it was almost overflowing so I had to suck some out to get it down to the MAX line.

other than that a pretty straight forward deal. I was able to save about $150 vs the dealer prices and I got much better hardware.

Last edited by ousig2408; May 31st, 2011 at 7:47 AM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 4:02 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Good job! I figure I will get about 65-70 out of mine also, I am at 56k now
I also apply the Disc quite spray to the back of the pads to control any squeak or squeal...
Did your new pads come with pad shims or where there even shims installed?
Old May 31st, 2011, 4:19 PM
CF Senior Member

our stocks were still quiet but when at the dealer to fix our folding mirror they said we were at 1 and 2 mm. visually looking at them I agreed.

all 4 had shims already. the new front pads came with a new shim kit but the back ones did not. I just reused the stock back shims...they were all good just dirty. the new pads fit in perfectly snug in the old shims so I did not think that was any issue.

I used 1 little packet of brake lube per wheel to liberally coat the back of both pads and the pins.

Last edited by ousig2408; May 31st, 2011 at 4:22 PM.
Old May 31st, 2011, 4:46 PM
Administrator

ousig2408 how are your shocks holding up? do you have the auto ride or no?
Old June 1st, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Senior Member

negative on the autoride - stock ones seem perfectly fine right now. But when they go out I am sure it is another easy DIY.
Old June 1st, 2011, 8:26 AM
Administrator

I know I will be coming up on some maintenance soon (brakes) and am debating if I should make a day of it by doing the the brakes, rotors, shocks and replacing my rubber sway bushings with poly....
Working on my shopping list....
Old June 1st, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Senior Member

ya that would be good but that was too much $ for me at 1 time. I don't think you will need to worry about your shocks for a while unless you are noticing an issue. I am debating on getting the brake fluid flushed at the dealer soon though. I have never done that before and for only around $100 I don't think it is worth me messing with...
after that I should be set on regular maintenance for another 20k at least. I have already got the transmission fluid changed at the dealer and the rear dif fluid changed.
Old June 1st, 2011, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
I know I will be coming up on some maintenance soon (brakes) and am debating if I should make a day of it by doing the the brakes, rotors, shocks and replacing my rubber sway bushings with poly....
Working on my shopping list....
That's a pretty ambitious agenda.

Quick Reply: 2007 Chevy Brake Rotor and Pad replacement help?