Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

2007 Chevy Brake Rotor and Pad replacement help?

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2011, 1:19 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
That's a pretty ambitious agenda.
Semi-retirement and you know what they say about idle hands, they do the wifes bidding....
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys change the brake fluid with each brake job? Do you clean the caliper pistons with brake cleaner? Is there any other lubing or cleaning to do while I have the caliper and rotor off? This is my first brake job I have attempted myself.

Last edited by 05malibuclassic; October 31st, 2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: added subscription
Old October 31st, 2011, 2:32 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I kept the original fluid in there, still have not got it replaced but probably will sometime soon to keep things "fresh". pistons were perfectly clean, just visually clean what you can. obviously does not have to be spotless. it may sound like a big/difficult job but it is not. just read up about it on this site and check out videos on youtube so you have an idea of what you are getting into before you have your wheels off and parts on the ground
you use 1 little packet of brake lube per wheel. on the pins and all over the BACK of each pad - where it touches the pistons.
Old October 31st, 2011, 3:13 PM
Administrator

while the wheels are off is a good time to take a pressure washer to the wheel wells, control arms and the suspension in general... hit the zerk fittings with some grease while you can get to them easily...
Old October 31st, 2011, 3:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick response. I bought the pads and rotors online just today and I have been trying to do a bunch of research so I do it right the first time. The oil change place said they also clean and repack wheel bearings and check the c/v joints. Is this something I could do myself and if so, do I need to buy anything extra for that? Do you guys normally do this with a brake change?
Old November 1st, 2011, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 05malibuclassic
Thanks for the quick response. I bought the pads and rotors online just today and I have been trying to do a bunch of research so I do it right the first time. The oil change place said they also clean and repack wheel bearings and check the c/v joints. Is this something I could do myself and if so, do I need to buy anything extra for that? Do you guys normally do this with a brake change?
It is something that you could do, but I would recommend getting one task completed successfully first before trying to perform multi-items and then having issues and having to figure out what part went wrong and where....
Old November 2nd, 2011, 7:43 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Agree 100% and those items are not extremely vital