Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Chevy Suburban LT2--Intermintent starting issues

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2014, 9:32 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Chevy Suburban LT2--Intermintent starting issues

We purchased a 2007 Chevrolet Suburban back on Oct 1st, after dealing with nearly 2 months of issues with our Navigator. We researched the vehicle, checked all the reports, had it looked over, checked to see if there were any recalls, etc. everything was fine, we purchased with 100,422 miles. We purchased from a big name brand dealerships pre-owned side. It currently has 105,498. Starting the week before Christmas it will randomly not start. We had the battery checked twice, all good. Thought it was the alternator, had it changed to only have it happen again, leaving me stranded out with all 4 of our kids, no older than 8. I've searched and searched and can't seem to find anyone who has had this same issue. I'll try to describe in better detail. Sometimes, you come out and it starts right up, no problem, battery is fully charged and everything is completely normal. Then, sometimes you come out and start it and it starts but the clock has reset itself in the middle of the night, like it died and restarted itself. Other times, you come out and it won't start at all, it doesn't even make any noise, locks don't work, lights don't work, nothing. Then one of three things happens, 1) either we jump it and I'm off, but risk getting stranded, 2) wait 30 minutes and up to 4 hours and it will possibly start on it's own, no guarantee-still may need a jump, the clock will be reset to whenever it turned back on, or 3) you hear clicking noises in the dash, similar to the sound a cd disc changer makes, but I only have a single cd and then suddenly you can start the car. Another thing to note that is if you are driving at night and go to roll down all 4 windows at once, the headlights dim and all the gauges drop drastically including the battery. I should also mention that sometimes, the service stabilitrack lights and messages come on. The first time it did this was when I used our factory remote start, but now happens no matter the start method. The clicking noise is also so loud that I heard it from across the playground at my kids school and knew that I could then start my car. Sometimes it happens multiple times a day, other days no problems at all. I've read about problems that are kind of similar but not this exact problem and even those that are similar can't seem to find an answer other than, oh well it's a glitch in the Chevy computer. We have called the local Chevy dealer and no one will return our calls. I've called my husband several times to come jump us and by the time he arrives it starts right up. I own two businesses and have 4 kids, I need to figure this out! Help!!!

Last edited by blissfulchef; December 29th, 2014 at 9:37 PM. Reason: Add info.
Old December 30th, 2014, 3:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Any ideas?

Car stranded me at home again today. Anyone have any idea what we are looking at here?
Old February 17th, 2015, 11:31 AM
CF Beginner

2007 chevy suburban sometimes starts right away and others have to sit for a day before it starts what could be the problem? putting the charger on it does not even help it
Old February 17th, 2015, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Had similar situation a few years ago. We too had the battery tested and was good. Finally just replaced the battery anyway after getting fed up and out of ideas. Has worked perfectly ever since.
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:34 AM
CF Active Member

I would look at your negative battery cable assembly. Could be a bad connection to the frame or something.
Old February 18th, 2015, 11:35 AM
CF Active Member

Also....if it is an AC Delco battery you have in there....they are a POS and replace it as soon as you can.
Old February 19th, 2015, 12:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Get the battery tested. Specifically to measure cold cranking amps. It's called a conduciveness test. Not all auto parts stores do them so you might have to call around.
Old February 21st, 2015, 7:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Similar issues in my '96

My '96 GMC K2500 Suburban had a starting issue similar to yours. Nobody could help. I threw parts at it hoping to get lucky but it didn't make any difference. Even after a complete engine swap that it needed when I bought it. Fuel pump, assorted relays, cap, rotary button, wires, Fuel filter, Fuel pressure regulator, and other parts.
Now my suburban has two batteries that tested good. The one on the passenger side runs the starter and has a small cable running over to the drivers side battery which powers the computer on the drivers side fender well. Finally I sprung for two new good quality batteries and new cables for them.
It made a world of difference and almost wiped out the problem. I say almost because in the year since all this work was done it has acted up twice. Both times it was only a little harder to start but start it did. I can live with that for the time being. Twice in a year as opposed to three times a week is one heck of an improvement.