Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 door handles turning into razor blades

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2011, 1:33 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 door handles turning into razor blades

Anyone else having problems with the chrome delaminating from the door handles? The ccrack in the plating occurs along the top of the handle along the mold line. The plating curls back creating a razor sharp edge. My wife received a deep cut with lots of blood while opening the passenger door yesterday. I used a file to remove the sharp edge on all of the handles. What is it with US car companies and their belief of our love for CHROME?
Old February 27th, 2011, 4:14 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Hardin, there that should be covered as a known issue, I thought it was covered under one of the TSB's I posted, I'll check my info again
Old February 27th, 2011, 4:22 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

They replaced the ones in my 2007 under warranty but other folks on this forum have gotten them replaced out of warranty. Be polite but firm.
Old February 27th, 2011, 6:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Are you guys talking about the inside or outside handles?
Old February 27th, 2011, 7:10 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Owner Letter

July 2010

Dear GM Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may have a peeling condition on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s) that could create a rough edge. A chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to separate from the top surface of the handle.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles with additional protection for the front and rear chrome interior door handles. If this condition occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by July 31, 2011.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Scott Lawson

Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

Old February 27th, 2011, 7:10 PM
Administrator

The inside handles. Whoever made the handles didn't remove the mold flash before plating them. The plated mold flash is as sharp as a razor. Probably a low bidder.
Old February 27th, 2011, 9:12 PM
CF Junior Member

This is the exact thing happening to my handles inside of my 2009 right now. I see that this letter mentions model year 2007. Anybody have a 2008, 2009, 2010 they got the handles replaced on? Seems like this should apply to them too, ya think???
Old February 28th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Administrator

The ones on my 2010 are just like the replacements on the 2007, smooth as the proverbial school marm's leg.
Old February 28th, 2011, 8:11 AM
RJK
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 2007 Sub LTZ inside front door handles replaced the new ones are very smooth. I was at the dealer to have a front wheel bearing/hub replaced I asked the service writer and he thought he remembered something about replacements. I picked it up and I had new handles no charge, due to the de-laminating of the chrome. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>
Old February 28th, 2011, 9:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Local dealer said not replacing handles on my 2009, said call Chevy customer Service.

Quick Reply: 2007 door handles turning into razor blades