Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 LTZ trek across the northeast

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 LTZ trek across the northeast

Thought I'd tell you guys about the 2500 mile trek across the northeast that I returned from last week. Took the wife and 3 kids in the Tahoe from Chicago thru Michigan, into Canada. We then went over to New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, back home. The Tahoe started with 16,200 miles on it. Set the timer (really neat cause it calculates time in the car. That ended up at 51 hours). Over the entire trip there was not so much as a hiccup in the engine. It drove great. I learned a lot about the navigation. I was ticked off when I went to pointsof interest with a picture of the Statue of Liberty but the damn thing didn't even have the Statue of Liberty in it. Figured out later I had to change the zone from Chicago zone to the east coast.

I either loved the navigationor hated it. It drove me in circles in New Jersey where ramp entrances were being worked on.. Didn't like New Jersey very much because of it. The biggest helper the whole trip was the hotel locations, with the phone number that ties into the phone. While driving through Pennsylvania it was impossible to find a room. We stopped at every ramp and asked to find out they were booked. That was until we used the navigation to find the next hotel ahead and called it on the car phone. Great feature. I really hate the stupid blue bar with the town name that comes up when you try and touch the screen ahead of you and it blocks everything.

Well, with 3 kids it was a tight fit until we bought a roof top carrier in Maine. Much better after that. Of course I got charged the oversize rate for parking in NYC but I'm used to that in Chicago. Cruise control was excellent and ride was very smooth around the 80mph mar for extended periods. DVD system kept the kids entertained throughout the trip. Wife hated putting her foot on the dash at times and hitting the seat heater. She figured it out when she started to sweat. Still hate the small faux wood storage center console I have but it looks nice so I'll keep it. Switching everything to metric in Canada was weird when the temperature control panel went to Celsius. Thought it was broke for a split second.

All in all, a great trip and a great vehicle.

Old October 16th, 2007, 8:41 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: 2007 LTZ trek across the northeast

Sounds like a great trip. Are you saying that the nav told the temp control to go metric?

Did you keep any mpg figures?

I read an accident report where the front seat passenger suffered a broken leg in a relatively minor accident cuz they had their foot or leg on the dash when the air bag went off. []
Old October 17th, 2007, 12:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you made it back safely. Sounds like a great vacation, but also one that requires a vacation from the vacation. Stay Safe my Brother
Old October 17th, 2007, 5:15 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Sounds like a great trip. Are you saying that the nav told the temp control to go metric?

Did you keep any mpg figures?

I read an accident report where the front seat passenger suffered a broken leg in a relatively minor accident cuz they had their foot or leg on the dash when the air bag went off. []
No, I had to switch the vehicle to metric. I was getting 16.3mpg on the way to Maine and 15.8 returning with the big car top carrier.

ORIGINAL: engine2

Glad you made it back safely. Sounds like a great vacation, but also one that requires a vacation from the vacation. Stay Safe my Brother
That's the truth. You too!
Old October 17th, 2007, 9:07 AM
CF Junior Member

nice write up
Old October 17th, 2007, 1:55 PM
CF Junior Member

Couldn't even drive into Delaware huh? I see how it is!! [/align][/align]I found that my Nav had trouble when I went into Conneticut. We were going to Stamford, but the dang thing didn't even recognize it as a city. I had to rely on the mapquest directions, but was able to pick a point close on the map and it helped most of the way.[/align][/align]Good writeup. 51 hours!! What did you drug the kids with? [/align]
Old October 17th, 2007, 7:16 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: freyguy

Couldn't even drive into Delaware huh? I see how it is!! [/align][/align]I found that my Nav had trouble when I went into Conneticut. We were going to Stamford, but the dang thing didn't even recognize it as a city. I had to rely on the mapquest directions, but was able to pick a point close on the map and it helped most of the way.[/align][/align]Good writeup. 51 hours!! What did you drug the kids with? [/align]
Nintendo DS