Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Graphs of Tahoe and Suburban Prices across Model Years

Search this Thread

Old April 2nd, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graphs of Tahoe and Suburban Prices across Model Years

Hey guys, I hope you find this helpful. Here's a Graph of Tahoe prices across model years: Graph of Prices for Chevrolet Tahoe in USA - all cities

Here's the graph for Suburban prices: Graph of Prices for Chevrolet Suburban in USA - all cities

Full disclosure: I made the website CarGraph.com, so feel free to ask me any questions about it.

I hope you find this helpful!

-Daniel
Old April 2nd, 2014, 3:12 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cool.

I admit it, I'm confused.

I like the graph, and I love data points, but what am I looking at?

a single model year over time?

How dealers screw us over by making us haggle for cars new? (vs Tesla's one price model).

or.. depreciation of theses?

or cost new over various years?

New... a LTZ Tahoe is (roughly) 20k more than a LS... so how does that factor in?

thanks!
Old April 2nd, 2014, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for taking a look.

The graphs show the current prices across different model years for used vehicles. Each dot is a vehicle that was recently offered for sale. The higher it is (along the vertical axis) is the price, and the further to the right (along the horizontal axis) represents older model years.

Most of the data comes from private party sales, not dealers.

The graph does not show trim level, like LTZ vs LS, but that's something I'd like to add.

-Daniel
Old April 3rd, 2014, 2:53 PM
CF Addict

Default nice

nice setup.

if you pulled dealer new ads and trim level, u could see how zip code influences the asking prices.

you'd also want to possibly manually check some of the way off ones... like that armored suburban that skews the data... yea, I don't see that as relevant vs. other suburbans... that aren't quite so commando...
Old April 3rd, 2014, 4:12 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks!

Definitely, an outlier can throw off the graph. I'm working on that now - I'm writing a routine to detect the outliers and not show them on the graph.

Great idea re: dealers and zips. I'm doing a little research on how I can collect info on dealer inventories. When I figure that out I'll be able to show what cities and regions pay more or less for the same cars.

-Daniel
Old April 3rd, 2014, 6:30 PM
CF Addict

Default Graphs

I'd look for a company that doesn't kill people for 90 cents.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...165526760.html

I may sell my Tahoe over this. I hate it so much I can't express it here.

They should have went under. They went bankrupt. It's not right.

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; April 3rd, 2014 at 6:36 PM.
Old April 3rd, 2014, 8:52 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl

How dealers screw us over by making us haggle for cars new? (vs Tesla's one price model).
You don't have to haggle, you can pay sticker. Never heard of a dealer making anyone haggle. You can always go to Carmax. They are a one price company.

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl

I may sell my Tahoe over this. I hate it so much I can't express it here.
But then you couldn't come here and bitch about it.
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Depending on the vehicle you are buying, find out what the "general" mark up is... typically the more popular vehicles have a higher profit margin... you may be able to knock 17% off of the sticker of a loaded Tahoe and get it for that...
A Cruze or Spark has a tighter profit margin so you may only get 2-5% off of sticker....
You can also go for the percentage over invoice 3-5% if you can get them to show you the real invoice of the vehicle....

The dealership ALWAYS makes money on the deal, any haggling you do is for the cut that the salesperson will get... the minute I hear " well let me check with my manger" is the best time to get up and walk out saying never mind you'll go some place else....
I hate that line with a passion... if that is the case I need to being buying the vehicle from that manger and not the sales person....

Internet sales is good too... a few emails back and forth and you can get a good price too.....
Old April 4th, 2014, 12:32 PM
CF Beginner

Yup, dealerships have been playing this game for a long time. Unfortunately for most folks the dealerships are a lot better at negotiation, since they do it day in and day out. The fact that most people don't know what others are paying works to the advantage of the dealership.

My big goal with CarGraph.com is to make price data easy to find and understand, which helps buyers (and private sellers) and helps put the squeeze on dealerships.

-Daniel
Old April 4th, 2014, 7:41 PM
CF Addict

Default GM For the fail.

My wife crashed a 1994 suburban when the brake lines failed.

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...203750980.html

I'll bitch to my dying breath. If I can stop just one GM sale, I've made the world a better place.