Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 spark plug change...New Member

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2013, 8:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 spark plug change...New Member

Back after 20 years...The Last Chevy I owned was a brand new 1994 Suburban that for some reason could barely tow a marshmallow attached to the bumper. Traded it after the lease was up...been driving a Ford ever since. After having driven the "new" Suburban for a week now I wonder what the hell was I thinking!

I have been reading as much as I can on the 100,000 mile service as my "new" used 2007 Suburban has 95,000 miles because who knows what they have done to it....I know they hadn't changed the air filter for quite some time.

It has a 5.3 and a 3 Vin. Want to change the plugs today as I like doing some things myself...and you can actually see them on a 5.3...not the case on a 5.4 Triton which likes to blow plugs out the holes!

Anyway, scared to death of breaking a plug or wire. Is it advisable to spray some WD-40 or Liquid Wrench on the plug threads after the wires are removed. I plan on using only the AC Delco iridium replacements with some anti-seize and some die-electric on the wires...unless someone has strong objections.
Thanks,
Tim
Old April 6th, 2013, 8:40 AM
CF Active Member

Since you are replacing the plugs, it would also be a good time to replace the wires. When you remove the wires, they may stubborn to get off. It would be a good idea, once the wires are off, to blow some compressed air around the plugs, to remove any accumulated dirt. As you suggested, spraying some lubricant around the plugs will aid in getting the plugs out. Use a good quality socket and apply even, steady pressure. You may break the insulator off a couple of plugs, but I sure you will get them out. A couple plugs are more difficult to reach.

The AC Delco plugs, you suggested are fine.

Please let the engine cool down before trying to remove the plugs.

Good luck with your maintenance project.
Old April 6th, 2013, 9:33 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

tsogara Welcome to the forum, sounds like you have a solid plan going with the OEM plugs is best in my opinion also...
mulmur1 is spot on about the pre-cleaning around the plugs, before removal... all it takes is a small grain of sand or rock to fall into the cylinder to wreak havoc...
Old April 6th, 2013, 11:22 AM
CF Veteran

if you've done plugs on a 5.4...definitely if it was the 3 valve then the 5.3 is a walk in the park

i hate working on fords
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Kroil, PB blaster are much better penetrants than WD-40. Read where a 50-50 mix of acetone and tranny fluid are the best.

Also saw a freeze spray advertised but haven't seen where to get it.

Put some silicone grease inside the boots of the wires before putting them on to prevent sticking.
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsogara
Back after 20 years... After having driven the "new" Suburban for a week now I wonder what the hell was I thinking!
Welcome to the Forum Tim, and welcome back as well !

I've made a few "excursions" away from Chevy and GM as well over the years. Without actually seeing the Model Lineups, some very nifty things can slip by a fella as time passes.

I really like a heavy vehicle, and one of those excursions was to Cadillac.
But, I needed to replace, so I started looking around, and found that the Suburban's had just about every single accessory/appointment as the most expensive Caddy I ever owned. Plus, when I got in one, started driving, it made me feel very safe, just like the Cadillac's USED to. I think it's a real shame, they turned those vehicles into Sports Cars.

Anyway enough rambling, and welcome again !
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:54 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the help! The Ford was awful to work on actually. Now that I look at the Chev; Ford has way too much needless stuff in the engine bay. Took all the fun out of owning it when you can't hardly even do simple maintenance like a spark plug change.

What are thoughts on plug wires...they run from about $50 to $150.
Thanks again for all the help,
Tim
Old April 6th, 2013, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Again, I would go with the OEM, you know they will fit and it will most likely be the last set you'll ever have to put on it ( for the next 100k miles )

I've done aftermarket plug wires before (Accel) they looked cool but turned out to be crap
Old April 7th, 2013, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

That's kinda what I figured. On a side note didn't get a chance to work on it yesterday because my wife figured out it has park assist and now she isn't scared to drive it! Probably never see the dang truck again!