Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban: Mirror Questions

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2011, 11:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban: Mirror Questions

Me: 2007 Suburban LTZ with regular (non towing mirrors).

1. I went to adjust my pass-side mirror and it won't move in the vertical. It moves in the horizontal just fine. When I press the vertical joystick, I hear a faint motor-like noise, but the mirror doesn't budge. I tried manually moving it and then back to the button no luck. Almost seems something is slipping? How serious is this? Can it be DIYed?

2. On this subject, I am getting a big travel trailer and I would like to have the "towing mirrors". Can my regular mirrors be replaced with the optional towing mirrors? Or was that only possible at the factory build?
Old November 30th, 2011, 3:35 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. It's probably a bad, or at least a worn out motor in the mirror. If pushing on it and then using the button again didn't work, then that very well could be the case. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what is involved in the motor replacement. I can't imagine it would be all that difficult to do. Maybe, someone else can offer some more information on this.

2. Towing mirrors can be added fairly easily. This is most definitely something you can do yourself. You may have to take the inner door panel off to unplug the existing mirror (I am not 100% sure about this), but other then that it just a matter of swapping the mirrors. If you look on the upper-inside of your door you should see a triangle shaped "cover." Pop that off and there will be three nuts (not sure on the exact size) to unscrew. The mirror will pretty much fall away after that leaving just the plug to find and unhook. I can clarify this and offer more directions/information if you plan to go this route.

I hope that helps!!
Old November 30th, 2011, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, good. That's a start. I'll call me dealer and see how much those mirrors cost. Might be very expensive!
Old December 1st, 2011, 7:16 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedwoodGuy
Ok, good. That's a start. I'll call me dealer and see how much those mirrors cost. Might be very expensive!
You can try your dealer, but they'll probably cost you an "arm and a leg." Typically, you can find a much better deal on eBay. Even if they are used, if they are still in good working condition, you can save a lot of money.

I have provided a couple of links to get you started in your search. This one particular seller is selling the LEFT and RIGHT separately. This seller has a set for sale HERE. Give those a look and compare the cost with that of your dealer. You may just find a better deal.
Old December 1st, 2011, 9:10 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I paid $144.00 for the pair with free shipping on Ebay, cant tell the differece from the OEM tow mirrors!
Old December 1st, 2011, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Hate to sound stupid LTL, but do you mean people other than GM make these mirrors to fit? If so, that's great! (Obviously I am not a seasoned "car guy"). Also the Ebay idea sounds good too. Gives me lots of homework to do here. Thanks!
Old December 1st, 2011, 9:38 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to sound stupid LTL, but do you mean people other than GM make these mirrors to fit? If so, that's great! (Obviously I am not a seasoned "car guy"). Also the Ebay idea sounds good too. Gives me lots of homework to do here. Thanks!
Yes most aftermarket Mfgs. make these tow mirrors. I dont know of anyone that bought theirs from the dealer. Their prices are high. If i can remember the sellers ID i will post it for you. Here's a shot of mine.

Name:  003-7.jpg
Views: 1803
Size:  113.6 KB
Old December 1st, 2011, 3:44 PM
CF Beginner

LTL - -
Those look awesome. Thank you for the info. Once I know something exists, I am very good at tracking it down. I just never imagined people would be making these things!

I have a lot to learn about Suburbans. Right now it's just the most awesome car I have ever owned, and I have had a bunch going back to my first car a 1959 Renault Dauphine given to me when I turned 16 in 1964. HA HA.