Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban Running Hot

Search this Thread

Old March 21st, 2019, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban Running Hot

In the last couple of days I have noticed that my wofe's suburban (2007) is running hot. It sounds fine at start up, but after a short driver it sounds like a fan comes on (best I can describe the sound), and the temp runs up over 3/4 of the way. I was wondering if it could be the water pump going out, or something else entirely? Any help is appreciated.
Old March 21st, 2019, 10:41 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

best thing to so is put a good code reader that can see live data and see what it says the temp is
Old March 21st, 2019, 11:35 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Most likely culprits are a stuck (closed) thermostat and a bad water pump. Also check the fins of the radiator - are they plugged with bugs/leaves/detritus?
Old March 21st, 2019, 12:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Irish_alley
best thing to so is put a good code reader that can see live data and see what it says the temp is
Been thinking about buying one of these for a while now. Just not sure which one to choose. There are so many. Any recommendations for a good one that won't break the bank. Maybe something $150 or less????
Old March 21st, 2019, 12:06 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Most likely culprits are a stuck (closed) thermostat and a bad water pump. Also check the fins of the radiator - are they plugged with bugs/leaves/detritus?
Thanks for responding. I will see if I can verify either of those this weekend.
Old March 21st, 2019, 12:34 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Music Junkie
Been thinking about buying one of these for a while now. Just not sure which one to choose. There are so many. Any recommendations for a good one that won't break the bank. Maybe something $150 or less????
I just ordered THIS

$318 with shipping. About as cheap as you're going to find for a full-fuction Tech2-type tool.

You can buy a cheap ($10) OBD2 reader that you can connect to your smartphone via Bluetooth. Run it with the Torque application, and you can at least do the basics - keep an eye on vehicle parameters, check trouble codes, etc. I have one for each of my vehicles.
Old March 21st, 2019, 1:07 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

https://www.harborfreight.com/zr13-o...ist-63806.html is the one i got but i got it on sale for 169+ 10 shipping. its not as complex as the tech2 type but does most things
Old March 21st, 2019, 5:23 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Music Junkie
the temp runs up over 3/4 of the way. I was wondering if it could be the water pump going out, or something else entirely? Any help is appreciated.
First of all, within the normal operating range is normal. However, if you think it's running hotter, could be thermostat, air flow, or fan failure issue (electric fans or fan clutch), low coolant level (air pockets). However, important to tell us if this running hotter is during city driving or during highway driving, that is way different, and different reasons.

Old March 21st, 2019, 10:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Cusser
First of all, within the normal operating range is normal. However, if you think it's running hotter, could be thermostat, air flow, or fan failure issue (electric fans or fan clutch), low coolant level (air pockets). However, important to tell us if this running hotter is during city driving or during highway driving, that is way different, and different reasons.
It usually runs right around 210 (roughly half way between 1/4 and 1/2 on the gauge. It shot up to half way between 3/4 and pegged. Just figured something was causing that. The temp is high in both city and highway driving.
Old March 22nd, 2019, 8:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

Maybe time to think about testing or replacing the temperature sender, and checking its connector (could have resistance) ?