Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe - 4WD acting strange

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2022, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Tahoe - 4WD acting strange

So, in October of 2021 my "service 4WD" message came on and I noticed my selector **** no longer was lit up, showing what drive it was in. About winter time we had an ice storm and I flipped it to auto just in case it decided to work again. So, now here ware in April...and the other day I was driving on the highway at 75mph and suddenly my cruise control kicked off, traction control assist off came on, and the vehicle simply became very sluggish on acceleration. I pulled over and revved the engine a few times and noticed it had almost a second delay from hitting the gas to the actual engine revving. It's like it had no power. It had no knocks etc. and no smells. It cranked up fine...I couldn't figure it out... And then I noticed that my drive selector **** was lit up for the first time since Oct. It was in 4WD LOW!!! I simply put it in neutral and flipped it to 2WD and heard the transfer case clunk into 2WD and everything was back to normal.

I noticed that my variable timing started working again as well and my gas mileage went way up from the 15 hwy I have been stuck on the last few months. The 4WD seemed to be working...but I was a little concerned. So, a few times it would NOT light up and variable timing stopped working etc. Yesterday and Today it is all back to not working. The selector **** is dead again and the message is on my screen. Is there a short somewhere or is this a faulty module? When I run a scan it said module once and then it said nothing the next day.... I have this issue for years but never had it not work for this long. I am leaning towards a short somewhere as it seems when I hit a pothole the other day it turned the **** off immediately.

Anyone know what to look for here? I don't trust the scanners anymore as I get different things.
Old April 9th, 2022, 4:44 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by ZRated
So, in October of 2021 my "service 4WD" message came on and I noticed my selector **** no longer was lit up, showing what drive it was in. About winter time we had an ice storm and I flipped it to auto just in case it decided to work again. So, now here ware in April...and the other day I was driving on the highway at 75mph and suddenly my cruise control kicked off, traction control assist off came on, and the vehicle simply became very sluggish on acceleration. I pulled over and revved the engine a few times and noticed it had almost a second delay from hitting the gas to the actual engine revving. It's like it had no power. It had no knocks etc. and no smells. It cranked up fine...I couldn't figure it out... And then I noticed that my drive selector **** was lit up for the first time since Oct. It was in 4WD LOW!!! I simply put it in neutral and flipped it to 2WD and heard the transfer case clunk into 2WD and everything was back to normal.

I noticed that my variable timing started working again as well and my gas mileage went way up from the 15 hwy I have been stuck on the last few months. The 4WD seemed to be working...but I was a little concerned. So, a few times it would NOT light up and variable timing stopped working etc. Yesterday and Today it is all back to not working. The selector **** is dead again and the message is on my screen. Is there a short somewhere or is this a faulty module? When I run a scan it said module once and then it said nothing the next day.... I have this issue for years but never had it not work for this long. I am leaning towards a short somewhere as it seems when I hit a pothole the other day it turned the **** off immediately.

Anyone know what to look for here? I don't trust the scanners anymore as I get different things.
Likely, a corrosion issue in the wiring. Do you live where, they use salt? I'd try using dielectric grease on all the connections, the transfer case actuator being #1.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; April 9th, 2022 at 4:47 AM.
Old April 9th, 2022, 7:36 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

All the grounds need be checked. There are quite a few going to the chassis from the engine and battery and the many modules that are in the system. Shop manual is your friend when doing things, yourself as it will identify all the connections. This is a computer on tires.
For example, my '11 has 41 readable modules in the computer system