Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Service 4WD message

Search this Thread

Old November 18th, 2019, 3:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service 4WD message

Hey all, I have a 2012 Suburban 1500 LT. I'm getting a service 4WD message since this spring when I switch to 4WD Auto from 2H and it would not shift into 4wd at all.. I just left it alone during the summer, but as we're moving into the winter months, I need to get this figured out. My first step was to replace the actuator on the front differential. It's an easy swap and I figured that was the issue. After the swapout, when I move the switch to auto, it take a minute or so, then gives the error, but if I put it into 4H, it will switch into 4WD. It makes a pretty loud sound when driving down the road in 4WD. I'm figuring that it's not electrical at this point because it IS switching. I plan on servicing the transfer case as it's overdue for a fluid change. What else do I need to look at?
Old November 18th, 2019, 4:46 PM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That light came on a few months ago. At the same moment I smelled something burning under the dash. I went to the local pick your part and got a 4WD control module from a wreck. I found out later that I had a ground wire issue and that's what fried the 4WD module. Nevertheless, it wasn't a difficult job. On my burb it was a little tricky to get to but, I learned the trick on the wreck so, the replacement on my burb was easy.

Probably best to not start throwing money at it though. Based on the burning solder smell I had a strong idea that my problem was the module. But for that it would have been harder to diagnose. And, I had Chevrolet look at it and they said it was the servo on the transfer case thingamabob. I didn't trust their diagnosis since they missed the grounding issue that a local shop found and fixed in 20 minutes. So, I went with what I thought and fixed it.

Last edited by falconbrother; November 18th, 2019 at 4:50 PM.