Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2015, 9:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Got the cabin filter and cap in the mail Monday, instructions are pretty good, will give it a go this week if the weather holds out and will post pictures..
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Got'er done yesterday...
The instructions are clear, they recommend using a box cutter to cut along the scored area to get the filler piece out... I found that nearly impossible to do while leaving the kick panel/beauty cover in place as they recommend, and even with a brand new sharp blade in my utility knife it was a bear and I ended up slipping out of the grove marring up the seat and area....
I recommend removing the kick panel/shield completely, its a bit more of an extra step but it makes the area much more work-able...
To get access to the last screw of the kick panel you will need to remove the cover piece of the center console but it removes easily.

The other item I removed was the blower motor resistor as it also gave more room and also removed it and the wires from any possible damage while cutting...

Something I wish I would have noticed while working and had done, was cleaning the evaporator, it was only after seeing the pictures I took that I saw the brown dust/dirt build up on it... I may revisit this in the coming weeks

I used a oscillating cut out tool I got from Harbor Fright... this made the cutting a whole lot easier, but do be very careful not to go to deep or too wide and damage your evaporator!
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-remove-panel.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-more-access-.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-remove-blower-resistor.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-cutting-tool.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-insert-folding-filter.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
jmsdallas (May 26th, 2021)
Old April 24th, 2015, 10:05 AM
Administrator

And finally the all done, sans the kick cover being in place.. note the filter has tabs that should be left accessible for easier removal at change time...
I will probably put this on a annual to 18 mo change out basis due to the accessibility..
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-all-done-.jpg  
Old April 24th, 2015, 3:04 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice job and pics!
Old April 27th, 2015, 7:11 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default carpet

that is some white carpet!
Old April 27th, 2015, 7:58 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
that is some white carpet!
I think the camera flash enhanced it, though I do have the titanium interior , its more of a silver / light gray
Old August 11th, 2017, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Mold Growth

To anyone one that has retrofit the cabin air filter, caution, their more than likely will be mold growth! I noticed an odor and when I cut open the compartment, it had standing water and mold growth throughout (pictures attached). I had it steam cleaned to get the majority of the growth out. GM informed me that they would not be able to "assist" me with the necessary sanitation because apparently I was the first person with this issue.

My understanding is that they have not equipped cabin air filters from ~2005 and on, so I have a hard time believing no other similar model does not have the same issue.

I have since filed a complaint with the National Highway Safety Administration, but feel nothing with come of it unless more people are made aware of the issue and report it to https://www.nhtsa.gov/ Please, if you retrofit and notice mold growth or know anyone who may also have a similar vehicle, to post the issue on the NHTSA website so that we may all live a healthier life.

Thanks in advance.
Chuck
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-img_0231-1-.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-img_0233-1-.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-img_0230-1-.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-img_0236-1-.jpg   2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter-img_0237-1-.jpg  

Old August 14th, 2017, 7:46 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guess the real question... does the 'new' Tahoe have one factory? 2014 was it?
Old August 18th, 2017, 3:34 PM
Administrator

I'm happy with my aftermarket add of the cabin filter, the replacement filters are WAY over priced at ~$30 for the carbon ones. I do like that I can now access and clean the evaporator to address any mold or mildew. I have not noticed mold but have noticed general crud which I guess is fine particles that have collected on the moisture of the eveap fins...
I was going to try a cleaner
Lubeguard Lubeguard
this fall
Old July 30th, 2018, 2:20 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by in2pro
I was going to try a cleaner Lubeguard this fall
This thread hasn't been active for awhile, but hopefully it is still being monitored. I recently started noticing a moldy odor in the cabin of my 2013 Tahoe and this has to be the cause, since the Tahoe stays clean and dry and lives in a garage, and this summer is extremely humid on the east coast, with mold and mildew sprouting up everywhere. I pulled the kick plate off and looked at the HVAC unit. It appears that the filter retrofit will be relatively easy to do, so I plan to order one. I will first have my dealer enable the Afterblow option,then I will clean the evaporator core, then install the filter. I removed the motor and resistor/heat sink unit and could see the evaporator core through the heat sink opening. It looks only slightly dirty, but it doesn't take much dirt to grow mold. BTW, I had this problem in my Corvette perhaps ten years ago and the dealer installed a module that did the same thing as today's afterblow option--it turned on the fan sometime after the engine was stopped to dry out the evaporator core and area. It worked somewhat. I also plan to have the Afterblow option enabled in my new Cadillac XT5.

So how do these cleaners work? Hopefully they don't over-deodorize the cabin, as I find perfumes that cover up odors instead of eliminating the cause kind of sickening in themselves. I'm hoping that cleaning the core then installing a filter to prevent much additional dust from entering, plus enabling the afterblow option, will permanently solve the problem. I'm planning to use Klima-Cleaner.

But my main question has to do with the best spot to insert the A/C cleaner. It appears that that spot would be the rectangular hole where the heat sink is mounted, since it is very close to the evaporator core and I could get the majority of the cleaner where it counts, towards the bottom of the core and the drain below it. I will probably tape the hole around the cleaner insert tube so I would not have cleaner all over the cabin floor. Comments?

Quick Reply: 2007 Tahoe Cabin Air Filter