Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe clunking in rear sups.

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2011, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 tahoe clunking in rear sups.

Its making a clunking sound from the rear susp area when you take off from a stop light, as soon as you hit the gas and the rear susp loads up you hear the noise. I have looked this car over like crazy, and still sdont have a clue. Anyone have any ideas?
Old December 31st, 2011, 6:18 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds like the slip yoke is dry... I believe there was a upgrade to the slip yoke to prevent this.... you can lube it but it will most likely come back after a few months. Might check with your dealer to see if you are eligible for the replacement yoke... if not you should be able to get the upgraded one and install yourself...
Old December 31st, 2011, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Thats a new one havent heard that yet. I'll check it out. Thanks
Old January 2nd, 2012, 2:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Rear Clunking

I came to this site looking for info on upgrading my headlights.... and found this tread...

My 2007 has been doing the same thing for about 2 months.... Clunking in the Rear when you take off for a stop.... unfortunately, I havent found a solution as well.

Were you able to find out more info on the "Yoke" issue?

Thanks for sharing.

J
Old January 2nd, 2012, 4:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Jncfreer,

I am sorry to hear of the trouble with your Tahoe. If you would PM your VIN number, I can research your vehicle further for you.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 3rd, 2012, 9:15 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine used to do the same thing - sounded like a worn out shock. Clunking and rubbing sound when going over small bumps or taking off from a stop. I took it to the dealer and they fixed it under the powertrain warranty. New u joint/slip yoke and all is good now.
so take it to the dealer
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:48 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Jncfreer,

I am sorry to hear of the trouble with your Tahoe. If you would PM your VIN number, I can research your vehicle further for you.

I look forward to your reply.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Louis, Sounds Great!! ... only 1 issue... Ive spent the last 15 minutes trying to figure out how to message you and unless I cannot do it until we are on line at the same time.... I dont know how!! ...Can you message me?

Thanks- Jeff
Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Default Messaging Time...

Apparently... Ineeded 17 minutes!

Old January 3rd, 2012, 2:15 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jncfreer did you see my post? this is a known issue with our models that the dealers will fix under the PT warranty
Old January 4th, 2012, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

my Tahoe makes a clunk sound to when going over wavy roads, speed bumps, rough roads etc. anything that will make the truck rock or move u will hear the sound.. I thought it was like that shocks or soemthing of that nature

Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe clunking in rear sups.