Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe clunking in rear sups.

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2012, 8:03 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> djvinevibez,

I replied to your private message regarding this issue.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old January 6th, 2012, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Investigate any rear end issues as soon as possible. My 2007 tahoe has had the rear end replaced twice. The first time it went out again after 5 months. After the second replacement it has held up well. I do not do any towing. It is used for normal driving.
Old January 7th, 2012, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

Well i took mine in and all they did was lube the slip yoke up. What where the detailed problems with your suspension. I only have about 5 months left on my 5yr/100k warranty so i need to get things fixed fast
Old January 8th, 2012, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

I had the clunking but also a scraping sound that appeared to be coming from the rear wheel area. It was a consistent sound vs. periodic. The dealer diagnosed it as a parking brake issue and said that it was dragging. They tried to fix it twice with no success. I went to independent shop for tires and told them to just replace the entire rear brake system because I was tired of the scraping noise. It took them 5 minutes on the rack to tell me that it was the rear end rather than the brakes. I had a re-build done on the rear-end which worked well for 5 months and then very suddenly went out. I then had the entire "chunk" replaced and have had no problem in the past year. I was out of warranty and these two repairs cost me around $4k combined.

This has been the lowest quality vehicle I have every owned which is unfortunate since I love the design and the way it drives when working. More shop time on this one vehicle than my previous 5 combined. I've shelled out $8k easily since my warranty expired. I would have to pull the paperwork to create a list of all the obscure sensors, electronics, and other things that have failed in the past 3 years. The power steering pump is going out now. I think the Toyota Sequoia will be in my garage soon.
Old January 8th, 2012, 9:31 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

A rebuilt rear-end that only lasts five months was done incorrectly or abused. Did the shop inform you what was making the "scraping" noise that req'd a rebuild?