Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 tahoe hard shifting, is this normal?

Old November 15th, 2007, 9:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 tahoe hard shifting, is this normal?

Hello, to all well this is my problem with my 2007 tahoe 4x4 5.3flexfuel built 3/07 i bought it in september 2007 i been with the truck for about 2 months and i have noticed a rough idle, and will not go away some times is very rough sometimes is not....i took it in to the dealer 4 times and didnothing just a stupid scan.....also in those 4 visits i told the about a shifting problem. when i am at a complete stop and then go from 1st to 2nd shift at about 2300 rmps i feel whe the rpms drop kind of like a pull back then go it also does it for 2nd to 3rd gear is this normal? this is my first suv so i dont know if its normal but it doesnt feel right because its very anoying also when in trafic ant a stop and go situation i hit 10mph and i let go of the accelerator the truck will do a jerky shift, and when im over 10mph and stop then go it will do a small bank into 2nd gear. have any of you guys had these problems or are these normal?this is very annoying that the techs say its normal also i almost forgot the transmission oil kinf of smells like candy is that normal?
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2007 tahoe hard shifting, is this normal?

HELP PLEASE......THANK YOU
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What king of candy?
Are we talking like Red Vines, Snickers or Jolly Ranchers Green Apple?
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
CF Beginner

kind of a burned joly rancher....but what do you think of the shifting is it normal for the tahoe to do that? kind of a pull back then go ?
Old November 15th, 2007, 11:20 AM
CF Beginner

PLEASE HELP..........ZX I KNOW YOU ARE LIKE THE KING HERE CAN YOU HELP ME? IVE READ MANY MANY POST AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU ARE THE MASTER.....OR ANYONE PLEASE HELP THESE A HOLES AT THE DEALER ARE DOING NOTHING BUT SCANING AND TEST DRIVE AND THE TRUCK STILL THE SAME....
Old November 15th, 2007, 2:13 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Without being able to drive the truck so I can experience the symptoms first hand I can only say that:

The rough idle is sometimes normal and can be the result of a number of things that are essentially minor or even non-issues such as fuel quality or slight water or condensation contamination, certain environmental conditions can cause a rough idle. If the ECM detects even a slight misfire as a result of an engine fault it will set a code and light SES.
Try using a good fuel system cleaner such as Chevron Techron for this.
The power being pulled back slightly also maybe the torque management system, this system is designed to smooth shifts and prevent transmission damage, it reduces engine power slightly just before the transmission makes a gear change, most people don't notice this or find it objectionable but not all.
Sometimes the 4L60E transmission will have a firm shift as well, this is a normal (albeit somewhat annoying) attribute as well.
My advice is to have the dealer make sure that the ECM and TCM modules have the latest software calibrations installed.

The new GM brand Dexron-VI transmission fluid has the cotton-candy odor added to make it easier for a technician to discern if the fluid is burnt (I am not joking). The synthetic GM Goodwrench gear lube has a grape smell added for the same reason, so long as it does not have a burnt smell you are good to go.
Old November 15th, 2007, 2:30 PM
CF Beginner

ZX thank you so much you gave me an acctual explanation not like the techs (this is normal) well thank you so much i will take it in againg on saturday to check the ecm and tcm...thanks ZX.
Old November 16th, 2007, 1:54 AM
CF Junior Member

how many calories are in the grape gear oil?
Old November 16th, 2007, 9:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: toty84

ZX thank you so much you gave me an acctual explanation not like the techs (this is normal) well thank you so much i will take it in again on saturday to check the ecm and tcm...thanks ZX.
ZX brings alot of real knowledge and sense to this forum. Some of the explanations from the service department are actually pretty funny when you know they are just pulling S@#T out of their butts.
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

YEAH ZX IS A GRAT GUY....all of the responces from the techs were just B/S and they just sent me home i took it in 4 times and my truck still has a slight rough idle i did put some techron on 2 full tanks i did help a bit should i put some more or just let it smooth out on its own?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 tahoe hard shifting, is this normal?